Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Exchange backup

Status
Not open for further replies.

garethmccullough

Technical User
Jul 4, 2002
GB
I am backing exchange up using a .bat file, I have an AT command to schedual how often it runs using NT backup. The problem is that in the .bat file I have asked it to backup is meant to backup the directory and the information store, but it only backs up the directory, has anyone come across this problem before? The .bat file looks like this:

copy c:\winnt\backup_lastnight.log c:\winnt\backup_prevnight.log
del c:\winnt\backup_lastnight.log
ntbackup backup DS \\INTRANET IS \\INTRANET /v /b /d "exchange backup" /t normal
/l"c:\winnt\backup_lastnight.log"

ntbackup eject

where INTRANET is the name of the server.

Thanks in advance.

You should use a tool that supports backup of exchange like NetBackup og BackupExec.

But if you do a backup using COPY you must stop all exchange services first and then make the backup.

/johnny

That is a particularly destructive way of backing up your servers.

If there is a service problem and your DS doesn't stop, doing a copy will destroy your database and the backup will fail. Stopping and starting any services is asking for trouble. Doing it on Exchange Server, copying the flat files then restarting the services is more than slightly naive.

Buy a copy of Backup Exec and do the job properly.

I would agree with Zelandakh. I've used Arcserve in the past and Veritas currently to backup Exchange machines, and it's well worth the expense. Consider it from this angle: how complicated is it to restore an email account? An entire information store? These tools, although expensive, are really necessary and can make you look like a hero if the email server goes kaput.

Doug

For your /v switch maybe you have to say yes or no.
/V yes

Also, I don't remember what the /b switch is... does it exist, maybe that is stopping it, but the dir does backup...hmmm.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back