Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Exchange backup

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 19, 2001
US
My e2k server is currently at 92 gigs of space on the exchange drive. The information store is only 24 gigs. The rest of it is logfiles as we didn't have a proper backup scheme. I just did a full backup using arcserve and I though the size was supposed to go down but it didn't. Did I miss something. Or is something configured wrong. Space is getting critical.

Ummmm what made you think the size was going to go down?

Just curious.

g

I was under the impression that it would erase the transaction logfiles after a full backup. Is that not true. Do I need to enable circular logging.

Did you do a full or "copy" backup of Exchange? A "copy" backup will leave the .log files in place without deleting them...

Well,
If you enable circular logging then this will keep the database at one level or size, but you can't do diff or incr backups of it. But yes, what your saying is right. If the transaction logs are archived then they should then be deleted. "Should".

hehe darn, and there is no mention of transaction logs in the whole BAckup agent for Exchange .pdf.

g

Got it to work. Did another full backup and it removed 65 gigs of log files

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back