Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Exchange Backup Problems EC8602

Status
Not open for further replies.

eripley

IS-IT--Management
Feb 26, 2002
GB
Ok ... so we all agree that Computer Associates are a right load of bleepers when it comes to offering support!

I managed to sort out one of my Arcserve problems by using this rather marvellous forum. However, I still can't seem to sort this other one out. I've got a Windows 2000 Server, and an NT4.0 Exchange Server. Arcserve 2000 (SP4) runs on the W2k server, and Exchange Backup Agent (SP4) on the NT one.

Everything WAS working fine, but now for some obscure reason known only to anyone who DOESN'T work for CA (!) I am getting the error EC8602 when tryint to backup the Information Store and Directory databases. The Agent config works fine on the Exchange server, and I have checked all the accounts, permissions and user rights till I'm blue (or red) in the face. But alas ... nothing seems to work.

The actual errors are:
E8602 = Failed to read from database (DBNAME=Directory EC=Backup Agent Error (301) HrPepareBackup failed
E8602 = Failed to read from database (DBNAME=Information Store EC=Backup Agent Error (301) HrPepareBackup failed

Can anyone shed any light on this, or help me? I've had a Tech Support call logged with CA now for approx. 7 months. And still, they keep saying the same thing again and again and again and again and again.

Please help ... !

Try to put the backup agent in debug mode ( see :
As you probably know the database part of the Exchange Agent ( dbaexch ) is working by requesting Exchange to put databases/logs in backup mode and passing them through to ARCserve. The errors mean that the HrPrepareBackup ( Exchange server's preparation to put the directory/information store in backup mode ) is failing.
The debug mode generates a *.trc file with all communicatgion between Exchange and the agent.
See what you can get from here.
regards

we had a similar issue a while back. We were running Exch 5.5 on WIN2k and we had these errors and no backups. We found out one of the mailboxes was corrupted. After our exchange guru fixed the mailbox we had successful backups. please note there were errors in the exch. logs I believe as well. If you notice the error points to exchange as the problem. Another thing we noticed is that it would actually backup and then when it hit that corrupt mailbox it would fail there. Just a possible solution...Here is microsoft's take on it:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back