Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Exchange Backup Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

GSC

MIS
Mar 27, 2001
EU
Hi,
Got a NT 4 server with Arcserve 2000 installed on it, SDLT locally on this server. A second NT 4 server with Exchange 5.5 and Arcserve Exchange Agent installed on this one, backup done remotly from the first server.
Both servers have the SP 4 for Arcserve installed on them. Got some error messages on the last backup:
W3404 Unable to open file. (File=\\Mailsrv\D$\exchsrvr\dsdata\temp.edb Sh. Violation
(File=\\Mailsrv\D$\exchsrvr\mdbdata\tmp.edb Sh. Violation
(File=\\Mailsrv\D$\exchsrvr\dsdata\temp.edb Sh. Violation
(File=\\Mailsrv\F$\exchsrvr\mdbdata\priv.edb Sh. Violation
(File=\\Mailsrv\F$\exchsrvr\mdbdata\pub.edb Sh. Violation

The problem is that we've got more than 50 other email servers with the exact same configuration as this one and I don't have the above error message on any of these servers.!?

Any ideas?

Thanks

Cheers,
GSC

It is a warning that is occuring during the file system backup, and not through the exchange agent. I believe that if you backup the drives through the Windows client agent, it should detect that the Exchange agent is present and not attempt a backup of those files. There is a registry key that over-rides that capability though. I forget what it is off of the top of my head. If you are not using the Windows agent, ARCserve will attempt the backup and get the sharing violation.

Yeah, this one got me for a while. If you have the exchange agent on the server, it will not back up the actual *.edb files. And it will not give you a message saying it didn't back it up. As Fritz said, there is a registry key to override it and attempt the backup of those files even with the Exchange agent. Cyklops gave me the key information:
\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Computer Associates\Brightstor ARCserve Backup
Client agent parameters has a DWord value called SkipDSAFiles. If it is set to 1, it will skip the edb files, if it is set to 0 it will attempt to back them up and give you a message if it fails. It will fail unless you have the open file manager agent or your Exchange services are shut down. I do both types of backups, through the open file manager and the agent.

Good luck!
Debi

Debi,
Thanks for the info. I checked on the server where we have these problems and this keu was not existing.
Should I create one?

Cheers,
GSC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back