Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Exchange Backup how-to 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

SLMHC

MIS
Jul 23, 2004
CA
Has anyone seen a difinitive (hell, even helpful) exchange backup how-to out on the net?

Right now we are using MS backup to do this, and since we have paid for the BE plugin i would like to use it.

thanks,

Dave

install backup exec, type in exchange agent serial no. finish install.

in job, tick exchange store. DO NOT, repeat DO NOT touch the M drive if there is one. Just the store Ma'am, just the store.

<signature for rent>

By store do you mean the MS Information Store?

We tend to backup the Information Store and usually the Individual Mailboxes. This is handy just incase someone loses the odd email or two! Also it's nicer to be able to restore contents of a mailbox rather than bringing back the whole Information Store!

Agreed though... don't try and backup M:

Roy Dovaston

If you have time overnight, I would actually recommend:

exmerge batch file to drop all mailboxes to PSTs.
brick level backup to copy all emails to tape
store level backup to copy store to tape and flush committed log files.
file level copy to copy PST files to tape.

That way you are covered no matter what happens.

But few people have the time and storage to do it all!

<signature for rent>

thanks guys for your replies...the back up of the information stores has gone well the past few backups...i was actually wondering how to get back specific emails that are deleted (right now we tell users, if its deleted its gone). i am no exchange guru, so are there any help files out there that you know of? i am going to claim ignorance on your suggestions Zelandakh, so if you have time, can you explain more?

thanks for the help again.

some more info on my setup...i have BE installed on my Exchange server...win2k server....sp4...all updates....BE 9.0...i tired installing the 9.1version and thought it had worked but it still shows as 9.0...

hope this info helps

SLMHC

What you need is something called Deleted Item Retension period.

and where exactly does that get setup?

SLMHC

IIRC for Exchange 2000 and 2003
Go into the properties of the Mailbox Store - think its on the first tab - should be Deleted Item retention and mailbox retention.

For Exchange 5.5 - you only have deleted item retention - properties of the Server or information store(can't rememeber exactly), advanced tab.

Or do a search on MS website - deleted item retention - or look in the help files.

Justin,

Just checked out our Exchange server, we'are set to keep deleted items for 14 days.

Zelandakh,

How much space are we talking about to do all of this? Right now the information store backup is about 8gigs.

Also do you have links to the how-to's on your suggested backup strategy?

I have a question?

What about backing up the mdbdata folder? Is this possible?

Thanks

This place is great. I have spent 30 minutes reading the Veritas site, (- which was once very good and doesn't seem as easy to navigate anymore) I come here and find an answer in minutes.

Zelandakh, you wrote:

DO NOT, repeat DO NOT touch the M drive if there is one. Just the store Ma'am, just the store.

Can you expand as to why you make this suggestion. Removing the backup of M:\ will eradicate all my errors and I am backing up the mailboxes at brick level and also the Info Store, but why.

If you could let me know I would be greatful. I trust your judgement as years ago I discussed other options with you and others on v8.6, but I am interested to know if there is an answer other than - it makes it work :O)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back