Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Exchange back up

Status
Not open for further replies.

staboogie

MIS
Apr 29, 2003
US
Do I need to back up the entire exchange store every night. Is it safe to do that once a week and a nightly backup of the mailboxes to have a complete machine backup?

Do the databases (Exchange Store) at least once a day.
The mailboxes backup (or brick-level) is designed to backup and restore only parts of Exchange and NOT for any kind of complete machine backups.
Only a 'flat file' backup (Exchange services stopped during backup) of the server can be counted for a complete machine backup.

regards

I have a working backup of this exchange server. I never put them on at the same time but this is an exact copy of the present server. If I restore the brick level backups to this machine, will we only lose the public folder information?

definitely backup the DS and IS daily. Brick-level backup is very slow. It is only good for restoring some user's mailbox folders or items.

But if you have Exchange 2000. You might as well use the buildin recover function of Exchange 2000(mailbox and emails recovery) and skip the Brick-level backup.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back