Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Exchange Authentication

Status
Not open for further replies.

HD101

IS-IT--Management
Oct 9, 2003
US
I've gotten conflicting information about what the SMTP Authentication should be set at.

The exchange best practice analyzer tells me it should be set to allow Integrated Windows Authentication.

But the instructions on installing the Intelligent Message Filter tell me to not allow basic authentication or Integrated Windows Authentication. This is to prevent brute force dictionary attacks. (Microsoft Exchange Intelligent Message Filter Deployment Guide, Chapter 2, page 7)

We use strong passwords on all systems and users. Do I need to be worried about a dictionary attack? Should I enable Integrated Windows Authentication?

Thanks in advance for your help.

go with the best practice analyser... remember this has been release after the documentation and the setting are based on tried and tested methods.

If you look at the way Service packs change systems and the way you do things.. this is like the same.. MS are always looking for ways to improve their customers experiences.. Are you using the lastests version of Exchange Analyser tools as a the latest verison was released over the last few weeks.

Thanks James for the reply. We are using the latest and greatest, we downloaded it for the test. I agree that we should follow the instructions and not worry about the IMF for now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back