Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Exchange and Outlook externally.

Status
Not open for further replies.

dave2korg

IS-IT--Management
Feb 25, 2006
US
Hey All,

I currently have all of my users either connecting to their pc's via remote desktop or using OWA to check email. I have been asked by a few executives on a regular basis if they can use outlook at home and configure it to work with exchange, if while connected to VPN.

I was wondering if anyone can help me with pointing me to things I will need to change in my firewall, dns, or server itself. I have tried setting up outlook at home with exchange option and just supplying the ip address of the server, while connected to VPN.. i can get it to check my name and come back with the FQDN of the exchange server, but then will tell me that the exchange server is unavailable when trying to connect.

Any ideas?

David McKissic
A+, Net+, i-net+, CCNA, CNE, CNA
Dell, Compaq, IBM, HP
Network Administrator

Sounds like a name resolution problem - When you type in the IP address this is resolving to a name but not the other way around. If you are not using a DNS server on your LAN for you VPN clients you will need to add an entry in the HOSTS file on the remote PC.

In the hosts file add the following line

192.168.1.1 myexchangeserver.domain.local

(replace IP address and name with the correct one for your network)

Hope this helps.

S.

Hmm. In your situation you need to prat about with lots of different things. What you actually need is to ditch the VPN and use RPC over HTTPs aka Outlook Anywhere. Sort out your OWA certificate and then deploy Outlook 2003 anywhere you like. Job done and the Management will love you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back