Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Exchange and external pop3 boxes same domain

Status
Not open for further replies.

aaronjonmartin

Technical User
Jul 9, 2002
GB
I have an exchange server which pulls down all emails from a catchall pop box and distributes it to users with matching email aliases. However I also have two users external to the office who both use seperate pop3 boxes on the same domain. When I try to send an email from an account on the exchange server to one of the external pop3 email addresses it comes back undeliverable, obviously because the alias doesnt exist on the exchange server i am sending from. A friend of mine said I could get this to work properly by adding the external pop3 account address as a contact in active directory but he wasnt very specific on what I needed to do.

Would this work? and if so how do I do it?

I hope I have explained it clearly enough.

"It's so much easier to suggest solutions when you don't know too much about the problem."
Malcolm Forbes (1919 - 1990)

Go to the Active Directory User and Computers container that holds your domain users. Right click on it and "Create Contact". Give the contact the name of the user, and then set the email address with the proper external email address.

ShackDaddy

Nice one ShackDaddy I will try that.

So by doing that i can send an email to user@mydomain.com even though that user alias doesnt exist in exchange (but does externally as a pop3 mailbox)?

Thanks again.

"It's so much easier to suggest solutions when you don't know too much about the problem."
Malcolm Forbes (1919 - 1990)

Aaron, your situation is actually problematic, and the solution outlined above won't resolve it.

Is there a reason you can't start downloading those users mail to your server too and have it put in Exchange-based mailboxes? Then they could use OWA, IMAP or POP3 to get the mail from your server.

If you have to keep things the way they are, you could set up another external email account for each user in a domain that doesn't match yours and have those contacts we created point there. But have that destination mailaddress merely forward to the ones they are really using.

I don't know of any way to get mail that's bound for a "local" domain to forward through the outbound SMTP server on a per-user basis. I don't think it's possible without coming very close to breaking something.

ShackDaddy

I have the same problem here. A have created a external contact with an email adres in the exchange domain. This user is not a user in the office so a also have created a POP3 account on a POP3 server. mail from external is delived right in the pop3 box but mail from the exchange server is not send to the pop3 box.
has anyone a solution for this problem??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back