Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Exchange and everything in Domain controller

Status
Not open for further replies.

dianaf

Technical User
Jun 23, 2003
GB

Hello!!! Well, I need to know what are the disavantages about having everything in the same server.

We are a small business, just 11 users and we have one server just like a file server, but I already installed exchange server in the same one. Is it bad to have the same machine as a exchange server and as a file server, which is the domain controller?.

We are just 11 users and I am thinking about costs.

I hope someone can help me,
Diana Milena.

One of the main problems is there is one point of failure for many things. This would include Network authentication, e-mail etc. If you are hit by a virus also you may have big problems.

It will do the job sufficiently for your size. If you company isn't expecting to grow more than 50 users it might be worth looking at Small Business Server 2000. This comes with Server license, Exchange, and all the client licenses you need (CALS are required for each software each client to access any Windows servers and exchange servers over a network). Small Business Server can be hard to upgrade but that may be worth the savings.

Hope this helps.

Yeah!!!! that's what I am running...(I forgat to tell you)...So I am going in the right way!!!!!...Another little thing...Would be a problem if I stablish VPN connections to that server? ( I already have a firewall)

Thank you so much!!!!
Diana Milena.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back