Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Exchange Agent not available when attempting to push to server

Status
Not open for further replies.

awreneau

Technical User
Mar 26, 2003
US
Backup Exec 10d Rev 5629
MS Exch Svr Agent w/ CAL

Have a situation wherein I have the License Available on the Media Server but when I choose to remotly install the agent I drill down and find the exchange server, Exchange 5.5, the agent is not available.

Would appreciate any insight you all might offer, I want to backup Exchange, as well as a few shared directories on another partition.

Why isnt the agent available?

Just push the remote agent software to the exchange server it includes the Exchange Agent with it. Once the remote agent is installed you should be able to see the exchange icon in the selections

Thanks but in the interim I've gotten a reply from Veritas support, they suggested I copy the Rant32 folder to the Exchange server and run the setupaa.cmd and then look for the backup remote agent for windows service, ensure it's started.

Well apparently, I'm guessing, it requires a restart so I wont be able to verify it worked untill after hours today.

Anway, in response to your reply, thats the whole problem I couldnt get the aget to "push" to the exchange server, it never showed up as an option.

I should probably explain a little more. When going to Tools, Install Remot Agents I select the server I want to push the agent to, which is exchange, but the Features do not include Exchange Agent, however when I view Help, About BE for Win Svrs I see that Agent for MS Exch is Licensed and Installed.

I have since gotten the agent installed, rebooted the machine and attempted to install the agent again. Now Exchange is listed in the Information Store, Exchange Directory, Mailboxes and Public Folders are visible. However when I select the Mailboxes I now get an error that reads: Logn Account "System Logon Account" failed to access "Exchange\Microsoft Exchange Mailboxes" Access is denied.

Well, the service is in the Domain Admins group and it's a Service Account Admin for Exchange.

I'm reviewing the Admin guide for anything I might have missed.

You backup exec services and system logon account user must have a mailbox on the exchange server and this mailbox cannot be hidden.

steveot,

Thanks, I've read that too, the user isnt hidden and the mailbox is activated. I've since figured out how to add the server, had to add the account to the Site, Org and server w/ appropriate permissions.

However when I choose to backup the mailboxes, it fails. I've since added a logon account that I can manually select, only after the failure, and it will list the mailboxes. I still dont have something right. Got a call into Veritas.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back