Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Exchange access issues with domain

Status
Not open for further replies.

andyds

IS-IT--Management
Feb 22, 2007
GB
I have a single MS Exchange 2003 server. It is not a member domain controller (as I here that can cause issues). It’s working fine most of the time but every now and then connectivity from the server to the domain controllers seems to hang which causes clients to be disconnected from the server. Repairing the network connection does not cure this, only a re-boot cures this. I have made sure the NIC drivers are up to date and switched ports in our switch. I have also changed cables yet the issue still persists.

The error in the event log is as follows.

Event ID 2103
Source MSExchangeDSAccess

Type Error

Description Process MAD.EXE (PID=2316). All Global Catalog Servers in use are not responding:
servername.domain.com

I have looked into the error on Event ID but wasn’t able to resolve this with the suggestions on that site. I would have thought that if this was a permission issue then the server wouldn’t work at all?

Any help would be appreciated.

I don't see anything that says it's a permissions issue. Looks like it just can't reach a DC. Either the network connection is being interrupted, there's a DNS problem, etc.

I'm assuming there is a local DC? Is it under heavy load?

Pat Richard MVP
Plan for performance, and capacity takes care of itself. Plan for capacity, and suffer poor performance.

I went on Event ID.Net and the first comment is regarding permissions about this issue.

Yes it is a local DC and the errors seem to appear at night when the server has little or no load at all. I have checked and there are no backups running at this time. If it was a DNS issue, why would it work most of the time?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back