Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Exchange 5.5 upgrade to Exchange 2000 (tips needed) 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 4, 2002
US
I am looking for tips on upgrading my Exchange 5.5 on a Windows NT 4.0 server to a Exchange 2000 on a Windows 2000 server.

I only have one night to do this, so if anyone can point me to a how-to, I don't want to miss anything that may cause me grief.

Current:
Window NT 4.0 Server PDC
Windows NT 4.0 server w/ Exchange 5.5
Windows NT 4.0 w/web server

Thanx,
Bruce

Okey I see that there is no way out of this. About my spelling, yes I am not the best speller in the world but I am doing my best. I think it`s not so bad concidering I am from Norway.
Okey back to business. The reason why you should not perform an In-place upgrade is as follows: (1) If a company demands zero downtime you are in trouble (bhb3881dmb said he had one night to do this) if something should go wrong. Suppose you came to the last part of the upgrade and something happend you have to do it all over againg.(2) You are also faced with the possibility that the two versions get in conflict with eachother even thought you change the LDAP protocol from 389 til 390. (3) If you perform an in-place upgrade you also have to disable the exchange services, which can be difficult to start again if you do the smallest mistake. The time it takes to upgrade depends on the size and number of folders in the information store, and also server hardware performance. My statement were also based upon bhb3881dmb`s one night. If he doesn`t make it during the nigth because somehting has gone wrong, and f.eks 50 % if the users doesn`t have their mail. He would most likely have to look for another job. He also writes that he tried a in-place upgrade but due to "time constraints" he didn`t make it...aaaahhhhh. Luckely he has a job the next day.

I know that Microsoft says that an In place is a good solution, but preferable in smaller environments with a limited number of users and servers if you plan to use the same hardware. Even so you should not listen to all microsoft has to say, there are many things that are listed in the microsoft books that doesn`t work so good in work situations.

If you use the move mailboxs way you dont have to change the LDAP protocol and you can choose one way connection, I saw what you wrote about 2 way connection, that is actually wrong. I have done this in a company wiht 180 employes if I had choosen the two way connection it would have created to much traffic, and the "upgrade" would have gone much much slower. You can also use the swing method witch is a good alterenativ also. With the move mailboxs method you use exmerge to move useers mailboxes (or manualy, not preferred) or other programs like Nett-ÌQ. That is a program that makes you access mailboxes cross the servers. User can also use their mailboxes during the migration. Remember use the ADC connector and Xmerge on the exchange CD not the 2000 CD.
Also remeber to change the mx-record in dns/firewall config. if you change servers. And LMhost if you use those. THis was writen a litle fast, hope it is enough for you.

You make some good valid points but the white paper documentation verifies what you have to do and what procedures you can take if something goes wrong with the install. There would be time constraints with any upgrade. And also if you read the white paper the exchange services do not have to be disabled. During the process the services are automatically stopped. So I should have pointed out that the correct answer to the question, "do I have to disable any services" the answer would be "no". Now your answer is "yes, you do have to disable". You did say you did this type of upgrade? Even though bhb3881 does not list how large his Information Store is I will assume it not that much because he only has 3 servers in his entire environment. So I will assume his IS is below 3GIG. He is looking for the simplest way to upgrade. Your making it seem like an in-place upgrade is a difficult thing to do. I think bhb3881 had plenty of time to plan. He is just stating he has one night to do it. And if he follows the white paper document this would guide him through every step of the way including preparing what to do should the upgrade fail. I think in a situation where the environment is small (such as a LAN) an in-place upgrade is not a bad idea but you can also choose the "Move Mailbox Method" which would work too. If you pointed that out there would be less confusion.

With the above said. Yes, the "Move Mailbox Method" would work too but there are some disadvantages you have to take into consideration for all upgrades such as:
* Older version connectors cannot be moved.
* ExMerge cannot move Public Folder data.
And also, you again make this process seem simple. If you look at this article this explains what is involved with the "Move Mailbox Method". It is way more involved than the information you are providing.

So the point is that many upgrades will work and you have to decide for yourself what upgrade to choose. I was just pointing out one upgrade method that would work. An in-place upgrade will work in one night if he only has 3 servers to install although he should give himself a weekend to do this upgrade in case he runs into any problems.

Okey okey, you have said what you have to say, and I have said mine. Just want to correct a little error you wrote. "Cannot use ExMerge to move Public folder data", last time I tried it it worked you just have to sett up a seperat Connector. I dont think that an In-place is a difficult thing to do, in fact it is a easier way to do. But I would never do it my self or recommend it for others. You`ll see when you try to do it in a real job-situation. Any way you also have a couple of good points though I thing you refer to Microsoft a litle to often. I am a MCSE myself and do not agree with a lot of things that Micro. says.
But this was ment to be a tip for bhb3881dm I just hope we havent confused him even more.
over and out from Floppya

I don't think he was confused until you came along. This is Microsofts systems. We need to rely on them and rely on the books that our written. The day I rely on FloppyA and not rely on Microsoft would be a bad decision in my view.

Over and out
:}

Not to be rude but the day we rely on Microsoft for proper documentation is the day we are all screwed. Both of you have made some good points and I think anyone reading this will realize that each issue needs to be examined on a case-by-case basis. I've done a few upgrades/migrations with Exchange and I have my own method of doing so - hence I usually stick with it because it works. The key that Zoey mentioned was 'test enviroment' - try it first on a test system before implementing.

Hello All,

Thank you all for your imput, and I will use as much of this information as I can.

A new piece of information, I got my boss to give me a new server for the Exchange Server.

I am going to build the environmet from scratch,(off line), and implement it form there.

Thanx,

I must agree with floppya on this subject. I have done a few migrations myself and find that in place upgrade never works correctly. It generates way more trouble and simply not worth it. Also, i would recommend upgrading all the servers to windows 2000 first and let the environment stable before doing the exchange upgrade. If you have only one nite, you are really pushing the limit doing both upgrade at once and you are assuming that everything will go as planned which NEVER happens from my 3 yrs of IT consulting experience. Good luck!

See all the posts in thread858-474481 , all is there. [sub]If 'something' 'somewhere' gives 'some' error, excpect random guesses or no replies at all. Please specify details.
Free Tip: The F1 Key does NOT destroy your PC! - Marc
[/sub]

Maybe I shouldn't stir up anymore, but I do have a question after reading this thread. By floppya's suggestion on upgrading the PDC first and then installing exchange 2000 on it, doesn't this create a much more complicated situation where all your user's internal exchange clients, such as Outlook will have to be changed to a new server name?

I don't know how many users bhb3881dmb has, but I would rather use a different approach than have to reconfigure hundreds of exchange clients - office and remote connections.

An in-place upgrade or brand new box, whatever the choice, if the server name is the same as the old exchange 5.5 was, it will reduce extra work included in floppy's suggestion. Of course if your users are much smarter than mine are they may be able to make these changes themselves.

Horray for dave240!!!! He's right in saying that nothing ever works right the first time...and it's good to hear another consultant say so :)

Well I'm doing an in-place upgrade tonight...
It's my first, I've prepared well, I've taken everything said on this thread, but with 10 e-mail users and only a few servers on the network I've chosen the in-place upgrade method.
I can understand floppya's reluctance to 'lose' his job, but I'm an IT professional and manager, I would not loose my job on failure of an upgrade as at the end of the day I propose the options and the really big boys make the decisions, now they may ask me to decide and follow my instincts, but it is a management decision.
If it does all go tits up and you cannot even get back to the system the way it was THEN you might get fired, but you gotta be some kind of burk not to have a contingency for a full failure...

I am looking for some similar tips on this. I am looking at upgrading from an existing 5.5 scenario running on a single 2000 server in a Domain. I had previously changed the LDAP port on this system to address the problems with port 389. I now have a new W2K server installed and running alongside the first system that I just added to the Domain. On this system I want to install exhchange 2000. I don't have a "lot" of mailboxes so it wouldn't be hard to just install and create the mailboxes from go and then change my MX record to this server. Would this be easier then trying to migrate from 5.5 to 2000?? Is there anything I have to address with the changes I made in LDAP on the first server? Any recommendations on this? Go easy on me... ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back