Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Exchange 5.5 Tools

Status
Not open for further replies.

cichlid

Technical User
Oct 11, 2000
GB
Each day I get a few mails from Groupshield about quarintined mail items - this is good, it means groupshield works.
The messages I get from it only say that the item has been quarintined with nothing about who to or from.
Does anyone know of a tool for searching through the exchange databases to find the original mail item from the ticket number provided by groupshield?

Cheers.
cichlid000@hotmail.com

There should be an option to customise the email that Groupwise sends to you to include the email address it came from, who it was going to and so on.

mmm - i found this on NAI/Groupshield site.

When a user attempts to send a message that contains attachments, the API will immediately pass these attachments to Groupshield Exchange 4.5 for scanning. Unfortunately, the API does not pass Groupshield any details about the sender or the intended recipient of the mail message. This means that if the attachment turns out to be infected, Groupshield will not know who it was going to or where it was coming from. This is why we have introduced the 'trouble-ticket' method of notification.

I'm trying to find a tool to search for ticket numbers until they fix this.

Doh! You would have thought that information was pretty important.

After all with 2.6 trillion emails sent out last year (excluding junk mail), you need to know who is sending the virii.

Was it a Microsoft programmer that wrote that?

It was on Network Associates site - they say that as soon as MS release a new / working API, Groupshield will use it - until then there's just the ticket method.
We seem to get a lot of these tickets at times - even from people sending zip files, but that serves them right for password protecting them :), so we could do with something to show up names.

If you ever find anything gimme a shout.

Cheers.
Seán - cichlid000@hotmail.com

Nai has an add on tool to groupshield 4.5 called "Resolve names Utility" This will allow you to find out where the mail came from and where it was going.

i would use anything they've got but their site seems to have a problem with our logon to the site for downloading stuff - works on nai.com but when transfered to mcafee to download it doenst recognise it - i've contacted them for help but dont hold out much hope.

do you have a mail account that can recieve a 4.7 mb attachment? I can send it to you.

no problem - but i'm not putting my work address up here - i could be embarassing :)
mail me at cichlid000@hotmail.com and i'll send you my corporate mail address.
cheers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back