Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Exchange 5.5 to Exchange 2k3 LDAP & ADC Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

troye

Technical User
May 16, 2003
MY
I'm in the process of doing a migration from exchange 5.5 to exchange 2k3. I've been using the Deloyment tools from E2k3 SP1 and am having problems while at Step 4: Connection Agreement Wizard with ADC Tools.

The problem i am having during the Wizard is that the LDAP port that I specify (port 390) for my 5.5 server is not the port that the final summary shows that the Wizard will be using. On the summary page of the Connection Agreement wizard it shows the wizard using port 379 rather then port 390 which I had specified. I have set the LDAP port on the exchange 5.5 to port 390. My concern is to why the Summary is pointing to port 379 and not 390. Both our Exchange 5.5(sp4) and Exchange 2003 servers are running Windows 2000 SP4.

Here is the error that is reported to the ADCTools.log file:

Using 0 as a default for msExchServer1DeletionOption
Using 0 as a default for msExchServer2DeletionOption
Using 2052 as a default for msExchAdcOptions
Using 2 as a default for activationStyle
Warning: The staging area domain is not in native mode. Group membership and security cannot be properly managed unless the staging area is in a native mode domain
Warning: The staging area domain is not in native mode. Group membership and security cannot be properly managed unless the staging area is in a native mode domain

Error: Connection Agreement Wizard could not contact the ADC server EXCHANGE_NT to set the connection agreements credentials for aspen\exchange_admin. Please ensure that Active Directory Connector is running and can be contacted from this computer. Then rerun the Connection Agreement Wizard. iADCI.Bind returned 0x1CE The remote server machine does not exist or is unavailable

Error: Connection Agreement Wizard could not contact the ADC server EXCHANGE_NT to set the connection agreements credentials for aspen\exchange_admin. Please ensure that Active Directory Connector is running and can be contacted from this computer. Then rerun the Connection Agreement Wizard. iADCI.Bind returned 0x1CE The remote server machine does not exist or is unavailable

ADC Tools encountered errors updating some connection agreements. Please check that your logged on account has full permissions on the ADC connection agreement container.

Exit HrPublishCAChanges=0xFFFFFFFF The remote server machine does not exist or is unavailable

Any ideas?

Port 379 is the default LDAP port used on the Exchange 2003 box.

Yes I understand that, but when I SPECIFY that I need to use ldap port 390 for my Exchange 5.5 Server, that port won't hold for the Summary Screen, it defaults back to 379 for the Exchange 5.5 server. I have changed the Ldap port on the Exchange 5.5 server to 390. (379 cannot be used for ADC because it is used for SRS, and 390 is the alternative port for 389.)

Is it possible the change the default port of 379 for Exchange 2003?

Does this happen when you RUN step 4 or VERIFY in step 4?
I had very similar problems on Step 4 in my migration from Exchange 5.5 to Exchange 2003 about a month ago.
Seems I found a KB article that addressed this.
I'm sure there's a way to change the default port of 379 for Exchange 2003...not finding much on how to do that though.

HI Atch007,

Yes i'm having this error during the RUN part of Step 4. I haven't found anything to show that I need to change the Ldap port on the Exchange 2003 server. In order to install Exchange Server 2003 I have to find a way to first set up this Connection Agreement....not having any luck so far.

My concern is still as to why the "Summary" for the Step 4 setup does not show the correct Ldap port that I manually Specify for my Exchange 5.5 server.

As seen in this example, the Ldap port that is specified, shows up correctly in the Summary section of Step 4: ( ). Yet the Ldap port 390 which I have used for the entire setup, all of a sudden doesn't work during this step.

Maybe i'm focusing too hard on Ldap...maybe it's something else....

TroyE

But remember that LDAP connection is your whole tie back into AD.
I used the exact same AD Tools Wizard in my migration...Step 4 never did work for me without errors. BUT, looking through my error logs, I was able to determine that the mailboxes, connectors, etc, that were causing the errors were no big issue as they were going bye-bye anyway.

I documented my whole migration...I'll dig back through it and see what I did to get through that final step.

Brad
atch007@comcast.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back