Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

exchange 5.5 to exchange 2003

Status
Not open for further replies.

bradiator

IS-IT--Management
Oct 21, 2004
US
what would be the best way, in your personal expert opinions, to migrate from exchange 5.5 to exchange 2003???

Define best: Least risky? Quickest? Cheapest? Easiest?

we have the equipment to do everything. i just need the easiest/best way to do it. here is the setup.

right now, we are running on (1) NT server and (3) 2000 servers. our exchange 5.5 server is on the NT server. our project is to upgrade everything to 2003 servers, including exchange 2003. we will pretty much create a new domain with the new 2003 server, upgrade the rest of the servers to 2003, then join the new domain. the problem i am having is with the migration of the mail server/mailboxes from 5.5 to 2003. what are your recommendations for this migration?? the exchange 2003 server will be on the new 2003 server. if you need more details, please ask.

I have a similar scenario

All 2000 Servers with a upgraded NT to AD domain

1 exchange server 5.5 Ent. Edition

My plan is as follows

I have purchased a Proliant cluster with MSA500 2terrabytes of storage.

I will join the 2003 Exchange Ent. to my existing 5.5 server

Here is a exchange 5.5 checklist before installing the Exchange 5.5 to AD connector

1. Create a 1to1 email box to domain user account
(If necessary create dummy user accounts for a single
user with multiple Physical mailboxes)

2. Install the AD connector

3. Verify the AD connector is working

4. Run Forest Prep 2003 on the Schema Master DC

5. Install Exchange 2003 and join it to the existing exchange server. Create Info store(s).

6. Establish new smtp connectors on the 2003 box.

7. at this point according to microsoft it's just a wizard to move the accounts to the new information store(s).

8. distribution groups unfortunatly need to be manually re-created.

9. move public folders if yo use them.

I have oversimplified this obviously. A good testing base with actual (cloned) servers and data is a good start if you have servers to spare. I do luckily. there are other things such as th GAL recreation and the OWA which are much more detailed to discuss here.

Ultimately I have taken a Microsoft training course ($2900.00) which my company has paid for.

I wouldn't go into this with out at least a testing scenario as mentioned. Email for my company is the lifeline to our buisness.

The good thing is that the new 2003 system can co-exist if you join it to the existing 5.5 server and you can tweak the new server before transferring user accounts etc.. This is probably the most realistic conversion that Microsoft has created.

As ususal we are at their mercy.

I hope this is a good base to start with.

KP

Also I made a large mistake

You need to change the LDAP port to 390 on the exchange 5.5 Server if you havent.

KP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back