Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Exchange 5.5 to Exchange 2003 migration on new server

Status
Not open for further replies.

Technical User
Mar 19, 2003
GB
Hi, we currently use Exchange 5.5 sp4 on a WinNT 4.0 domain which is being upgraded to AD 2003 soon, we are then going to get a new server and put Exchange 2003 onto it. I was wondering how we can move everything over to Echange 2003 from Exchange 5.5?

Kind Regards

Andy

I just finished a Ex 2000 to 2003 upgrade, and everything went great. I have heard that the move from 5.5 to 2000 is a sticky one, so I would guess that you should expect some troubles moving from 5.5 to 2003. I would purchase a book to help me through it. One good thing, I have read that if this upgrade is done correctly you will not lose much, if anything.

BTW, I also upgraded Win 2000 Server to Win 2003 Server. Very easy upgrade with no hiccups. Microsoft has done a good job with both Ex 2003 and Windows Server 2003.

Might want to free up your schedule for a couple of days anyways! You know how upgrades always seem to throw surprises at you.

Matt

Hi, I've read that we can just add the new server (win2003) to our AD network run the ExDeploy.exe utility from the Exchange 2003 disk and then run the Forestprep and domainprep tools. Once this has been done install Exchange 2003, and move the mailboxes over, I'm sure it's not that easy...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back