Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Exchange 5.5 sp 4 and win2K

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
can I use exchange 5.5 sp5.5 on win2K ?

It does work. I have been told by a few people that Microsoft won't support the combination though. Is that true??

Microsoft does support this and it does work. There are a few pit falls during a fresh installation but they are easy to get by. I currently have 7 exchange servers and 3 of them are win2k

Note :- do not load the Active directory on an exchange 5.5 box running on Win 2000 Server. This is because both (Actice directory and exchange) use the same LDAP port.

None of these issues is a problem; the methods for implementing Exch 5.5 on win2k are well documented.

- Recommend not to use a DC as an exch server.
- Start the install as normal and you will be prompted that this software is not compatible, continue past this message and complete install.
- Reboot and then apply SP3 as this is what provides the win2k compatability.
- Check that the LDAP ports are not in conflict by looking at the services that are running, checking the event log for errors and running NETSTAT -A from the command line to list open ports (check MS KB) for more details.
- Have a beer
- I would not implement sp4 unless you have a specific problem to solve as sp3 is very stable, sp4 has issues (also well documented)

TheOtherKiwi, can you point me in the direction of some more info on the problems with SP4 and Win2000? Cheers mate.

Adrian.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back