Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

exchange 5.5 - restore individual mailboxes from monolithic backup 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

gavman

IS-IT--Management
Apr 29, 2002
GB
How can I restore an individual mailbox from Arcserve 2000 backup - is there a workaround for this. So far I have built another exchange server using the same organization and site name as the tape being restored.

What next - please help??

Are you using the Arcserver 2000 Exchange Agent?
If so you need to build a complete replica server offline, away from your live network. Ensure Windows and Exchange are set-up the same and same service pack levels. Ensure Exchange is set-up the same i.e Location of the Information Stores, Directory service and so on. Once this is complete you need to stop all the Exchange services and then you need to ensure that both mdbdata and dsadata directories where you setup your logs directory logs location are empty, if not, delete files including the edb.log files. (very important or problems will occur.)Once this is complete, you need to restore the Information store and directory service only (Exchange agent for Arcserve 2000)
Reboot server at the end, and then you can restore individual mailboxes, export to pst and transfer to your existing server.

Chester,

Thanks for the quick response!!

Please advise if drive letters are critical on the replica server - at this point we see this the only possible problem.

Cheers

Drive letters must be the same or it won't work, as the IS and DS store restore has registry entries that look for the specfic drive letters.

Excellent - thanks again!!

One other important point - as I did this the other week for the first time. Make sure circular logging matches on both servers. Then from the Exchange admin program run the DS/IS consistency adjustment tool, select All Inconsistencies before you click the adjust button. Then you are ready to to restore the individual mailbox.

Thanks again - will give it a go now!!

When building the replica server, is it necessary to have the same computername as the original (Microsoft say NO?)

Also trying to building it offline - I get stuck when it asked for admin password.

Any pointers please??

No that's correct but it does make things easier. Also you want to setup a PDC amd restore the SAM and Security files and place the replica server into the domain, as the restored server is now looking for a user that may not exist.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back