Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Exchange 5.5 relay

Status
Not open for further replies.

z1pp0

IS-IT--Management
Apr 6, 2002
GB
Hi,

I have just had to shut down my 5.5 server because it was running really slow and causing problems for clients. It seems its being used as a relay by somebody. Is there a way within Exchange to restrict this. I dont know this application very well.

Many Thanks

Check out this post:

thread10-588932 had the exact same problem. People were using my Exchange Server as a relay to send their "crap" (nice way of putting it) through my service.

I changed my SMTP address settings to point at earthlinks (MY ISP) SMTP Server (which has a static IP address), and that took care of the problem)

Point yours at your ISPs. They should have a public SMTP address that they can give you information on.

Hope that helps

JT

Hello z1pp0,

To restrict relaying (for your local network of 192.168.1.xxx for example), just do the following:

- Start Exchange Administrator
- Goto your site / Connectors / Internet Mail Service
- Goto "connections" tab and hit "Specify by host" button
- In the next window you should list all the IPs allowed to deliver mail via your server. To do so, hit "Add" button and provide IP addresses in a form of 192.168.1.0/255.255.255.0/Allow connections from this host.

Hit Okays as necessary and restart your IMC service.

That should work in any configuration - directly connected to Internet, ADSL / cable and so on...

Murrik

murrik,

You stated:
"In the next window you should list all the IPs allowed to deliver mail via your server."

so would I just enter the Server IP then????

Don't forget. Once you have fixed your exchange server from relaying you can test it via a couple of other sites such as:

Once you are confident that you mail server is not relaying mail, you might want to verify that you are not on a relay block list.

Craig.

Craig

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back