Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

exchange 5.5 recovery of edb's on a different server ? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

RaceAap

IS-IT--Management
Sep 5, 2001
NL
Hi there,

My windows nt 4.0 with excahgne 5.5 crashed :(

As the backup device recently crashed i have no backup of the database in Arcserve or any backup system.

Is it possible to install a new server with exchange 5.5 put the edb's to this new server and use the recovery util's to get all setting's and mailboxes back?

Thanx,

Lon

RaceAap have you tried this yet and if so was it as easy as it looks?

A friend of mine is having similar trouble.

Thanks.

I'm back online again :D

I took a workstation and installed NT 4.0 server on it as a backup domein controller, then exchange 5.5 with all service pakcs and patches I had on the old server.

Stopped ALL Exchange services and copied ALL exchange 5.5 directories from the harddisk of the crashed server to this workstation. So infact I have Overwritten the newly installed files with the crashed one's..

Then started the Exchange services again, as expected the store and mta did not start.
I ran: "ISINTEG -PATCH" from the commandline and started the last services from exchange and it was running again with ALL old mailboxes and settings. :D

This test told me that I could install Nt 4.0 on the old server in a different folder and rename the old exchange folders before I installed exchange in this new nt4 installation.
Then the same drill started again as on the workstation: stopping ms exchange services, copy old files over the new files, start services, run "isinteg -patch" and startup again...

The result is that my "old" server is running with a fresh NT 4.0 server install.. it's FASTER as before !!!!

For now the Intel P3 800Mhz,512Mb, 36Gb-Raid5 perfoms very good again...

Thanx,

Lon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back