Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Exchange 5.5 problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

MtnMike

MIS
Jun 27, 2003
US
I hope this is simple. I have a client with an Exchange 5.5 server setup that had a static IP address that resolved to his companies URL ( and acted as his mail server for all mail sent to that address. They changed the DNS, and the ISP is now hosting the mail, not the exchange server.

Problem, there is one user left in the office that is connected to the exchange server, who recieves faxes via GFI Faxmaker into her exchange mailbox which she picks up via her Outlook Client. If she then tries to forward that fax via email to a recipient at the same company.com address, exchange grabs it and does not relay it to the new mail server (I think).

I have made some changes to the IMS, Checked "Forward all messages to host" and typed in the new mail server, but that is only a guess by me and I don't have a way of testing if it worked at the moment. Thank you in advance for any help or advice.

I know is sounds obvious, but has the ISP made sure both its server and yours are in the same Exchange domain? If your server is not aware of another, and is effectively trying to send to an internal recipient - i.e. to an address it thinks it owns (that doesn't exist), that this would occur.

You may have to re-point your IMS to go out to the internet, in order to send an 'internal' mail back to the ISP's box. It depends on how much control your ISP is willing to give away. If there is no problem with that, then you can specify an additional email domain on the IMS and route accordingly.

Good luck!

Thanks PCFool, I think your right. I got it to work right by telling the IMC to forward outgoing mail to the correct mailserver, I also think the relay restrictions that I had put on to keep it from being an open relay also had some play in it. Problem fixed and I really appreciate your response.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back