Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Exchange 5.5 on Windows Server 2003.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TruBlu01

MIS
Apr 3, 2002
US
Soon we will be migrating from an NT Domain to Server 2003 AD. There will be a few months we will be running Exchange 5.5 on Server 2003 before migrating to Exchange 2003. Are there any serious issues I need to look out for while running 5.5 on Server 2003? Of course I plan on using whatever migration tools available. Thanks,

-Marc

I hope that there are no issues do so. I am also planning on upgrading my Win NT 4.0 server that not only is a PDC for the NT domain, but also is the Exchange server version 5.5.

Don't you wish everything with computer systems would be much more less sophisticated?! =)

Brian

Regarding the upgrade from NT to 2003, I would suggest adding another BDC to your network, such as a desktop PC. Then, I would shut down the existing PDC and BDC's and promote your desktop BDC to a PDC. Once this is done, upgrade your desktop PDC to a Windows 2003 domain controller. Then, DCPROMO another stand alone Windows 2003 server to a domain controller. Then, transfer the FSMO roles to the newly added DC and integrate DNS as well. Once the second DC has all the FSMO roles and DNS, shutdown the desktop PC and add additional DC's as need. We have been repeating this process in a test lab for a few months with good results.

Best of luck.

Well, for you to say that is just wrong. I see it running all over. It may have not worked for you, but don't say "It doesn't work". anyone else?

Exchange 5.5 is not supported on 2003 at all.

Understood about the support. I just need it to run for a few months.

I was just informed we are going to run 5.5 on Server 2000 with AD, until we upgrade to server 2003 and Exchange 2003.

Does 5.5 work in a domain with AD? I know you can put it on a 2000 member server but in a Native mode AD environment I would have to wonder.

Apparently it is possible to run Exchange 5.5 (with sp4) on NT4 (with sp6) in an AD 2003 Native Domain.....is this true?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back