Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Exchange 5.5 on Active Directory

Status
Not open for further replies.

LKT

IS-IT--Management
Jan 7, 2002
GB
Does anybody know if its possible to run Exchange 5.5 on a Windows 2000 server running Active Directory?

This is the only Domain Controller. I plan to migrate the current NT4 PDC to a new Windows 2000 box and dump the old one.

Andy Simpson CNE, MCSE+I, CCA, N+

Better to run it on a member server, but it will work. Remember to change the default LDAP port...

Will Exchange 5.5 be able to link to the Active Directory user accounts?

Cheers, Andy.

Exchange 5.5 doesn't use AD, it has it's own database. You only need AD user accounts to assign permissions to mailboxes.

ok, will give it a go. thanks for your help so far.

cheers, andy.

When you install Exchange 5.5 in Active Directory I believe you will need to install the Active Directory Connector and setup a 2 way connection agreement for Active Directory to synch with the Exchange Database. Unless you forget Exchange 5.5 and do a full install of Exchange 2000. Would recommend you going to the Microsoft Knowledgbase and do research on the Active Directory Connector and read some articles before installing Exchange. Bronto is right, you will need to change the LDAP protocol port in Exchange 5.5. The LDAP protocol by default is Port389 in Exchange. You will need to change this to an unused port. Active Directory will use Port389 which is why you will need to change this. From a command line do the command ==>netstat -an < This command will list all the unused ports. Usually port390 is a safe bet.

nice one cheers mate, am testing the connection agreements now.

cheers, andy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back