Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Exchange 5.5/ NT4 in Active Directory 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kaz2k

MIS
Apr 27, 2001
CA
Hi,

I need some help with some planning.

We currently have an NT4.0 domain with one PDC that does everything (DHCP, WINS) with Exchange 5.5 on it.

We recently bought Windows 2000 Small Business Server (for the packaged programs). What I didn't check first was that SBS needs to be the Domain Controller of an Active Directory, and it doesn't allow trusts.

What I need to know is: Can I make the NT machine part of the 2000 AD without having to redo everything else? I am most concerned about the Exchange setup, as I don't want to upgrade it to 2000, or the NT server to 2000.

Many TIA.

NT4 *BDC's* and member servers can be part of a Windows 2000 AD server running in "mixed mode".

You won't be able to make the NT4 PDC "part" of a 2000 AD without upgrading it.

Not sure about "Small Business Server" (might be quirky), but a normal Windows 2000 AD domain controller in "mixed" mode *will* allow One-Way trusts with NT4 domains. Set up the SBS in it's own AD "mixed mode" domain and establish the trust between the two domains, manually.

To create an explicit domain trust, do the following:
1. Open Active Directory Domains and Trusts.
2. In the console tree, right-click the domain node for the domain you want to administer, and
then click Properties.
3. Click the Trusts tab.
4. Depending on your requirements, click either Domains Trusted By This Domain or Domains
That Trust This Domain, and then click Add.
5. If the domain to be added is a Windows 2000 domain, type the full DNS name of the domain.
Or, *if the domain is running an earlier version of Windows NT, type the domain name*.
6. Optionally, you can type and confirm the password for this trust.
7. *Repeat this procedure on the domain that forms the other part of the explicit trust relationship.*

Worst comes to worse, all you have to do is break the trust, and you haven't harmed your original domain (all you've lost is the setup time on the SBS).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back