Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Exchange 5.5 Maintenance

Status
Not open for further replies.

1ian123

Technical User
Oct 16, 2002
AU
Does anyone have any detailed procedures or can advise on what you do in regards to monthly maintenace on Exchange 5.5

Regards

12 stone of Kiwi

With regards to maintenance the only things I would advise are the following;

1. Check App and System logs daily and in depth weekly

2. Monitor a baseline of the system when its working and perhaps monitor again monthly comparing the 2 (especially if you have made changes)

3. ALWAYS test your backups, the only way to do this is to test them.

4. If you deleted moved a lot of users then look to run an offline defrag (eseutil /d).

With regards to monitoring the app logs I would specifically look for ESE source events ranging from around 200 - 400 along with maintenance related things such as OLM and OLD running. Ensure a 1221 event is being logged which is the event logged when free space is released. The ESE errors will indicate things things such as dreaded DB corruption (1018 errors)

There really aren't that many other things I would recommend. If I can find anything else I'll let you know.

You might find it helpful to first review a fairly complete abstract of Exchange 5.5 monitoring (just to see what is possible, and what might fit your specific situation). You can go to this MS Technet page: then in the left window click "Monitor" and click "Managing and Monitoring" to view the "Managing and Monitoring MS Exchange Server Abstract". What monitoring procedures you actually decide to set-up will depend upon the complexity of your Exchange server deployment and the size of your organization (one size doesn't fit all). When you begin planning what you're going to need to do, you can always ask knowledgable posters like MarkSe and others in this Forum for specifics about implementation.

Thanks both, I've learnt to tread very carefully around 5.5
I'm learning lots, fast

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back