Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Exchange 5.5 IMS HELP! 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

sidmarsh

IS-IT--Management
Jan 11, 2005
US
Internet Mail Service is shutting down every 6 to 8 minutes. The Event ID is 7031. I'm having it restart itself but how can I keep it on permanently?

You're having the exact same problem I've been having the past two days (which popped out of nowhere). For right now, I've been able to keep IMS active without restarting itself for a few hours. I'm going to see how it goes tonight. If you have Exchange Server 5.5 SP4, I did the following in my many steps of trying to resolve it:

1. Shutdown the IMS service. Go to your drive:\exchsrvr\imcdata\in & imcdata\out directories. Create a directory called Temp in both of those and then copy all of the files from the \in & \out folder into these Temp files. Then delete queue.dat file in the imcdata directory.

2. Start the IMS service to see if the service stays active. It did in my case --- at least longer than the usual 6 - 8 minutes, more like a couple of hours.

3. Open Exchange Administrator, open the Internet Mail Service connection and view the Queues. See if you're getting a lot of messages to appear in your Outgoing queue that have no originator. If so, you're probably getting hit by a reverse NDR spam attack.

4. You'll need to call Microsoft (free call) and get the hotfix for IMS to prevent NDRs.
The tek-tips FAQ: Microsoft KB link:
5. I also eliminated Authenticated Relay by going to the Routing tab in Internet Mail Service, click the Restrictions button, and verify that "Allow Authenticated Hosts..." to relay. Note that if you disable this, then users that use POP3 access won't be able to login.

Like I said, this is for Exchange 5.5, not sure what to do on 2000/2003 -- but hopefully this will help. So far, my IMS has been on all afternoon, so I'm crossing my fingers this did the trick.

The hotfix for IMS to prevent NDRs, hasn't helped me, I'm still going down frequently and not getting incoming email.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back