Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Exchange 5.5 IMC log files

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lulworth

Technical User
Aug 24, 2005
GB
Can anyone tell me how I can reduce the massive IMC logs files that hace accumulated on our server. Can I simply delete the files?

Perform a full backup. Don't delete them. The backup will remove them.

We back up every night using Veritas but this does not clear the IMX log files.

What Back up are you referring to?

Thanks for replying

Are you backing up Store or Maiboxes?

Mailboxes will give you a sort of backup. Store will back it up correctly and in the Exchange section you should use flush commited transaction logs.

Frankly I don't know whether we are backing up store or mail boxes but think that we are backing uo everything with Veritas.

We do this every night but it does not clear the IMC data log files!

Thanks for responding

Check what you are backing up under Edit Selections. If you aren't doing the store, that is why the logs are building.

Thanks I will have a go at this tomorrow.

Hi,
if you are using Veritas BackupExec check, if your job has checked option: reset archive bit

regards,

Have tried to back up but have run into a problem. Exchange Agent support does not apeear to be present on our Veritas.

We run two servers 1 x NT small business and 1 X W2000. Exchange is on the NT, veritas and the Tape drive are on the W2000.

I think that the tape drive is an HP but it only appears to see the Veritas software.

Is there any Windows NT utility for Back Up that would serve the same purpose and clear out the massive log files from exchange?

Zel is confusing the store transaction logs (\EXCHSRVR\MDBDATA by default) with the IMS connection logs (EXCHSRVR\IMCDATA\LOGS by default). Store transaction logs are purged by the online Exchange-aware backups, but this doesn't touch the IMS connection logs at all.

You can happily delete the \IMCDATA\LOGS, and also check the \IMCDATA\IN\ARCHIVE and \IMCDATA\OUT\ARCHIVE directories whilst you're at it. These directories are written to if you set the IMS logging - check the IMS's Diagnostics Logging tab for the options to turn on or off the various logging - the ARCHIVE directories are written to if you have Message Archiving turned on, which is the default I think.

Remember you have to stop and restart the IMS service after you make changes to the logging tab so that your changes take effect.

Where do I find the IMS logging tab?

I do regularly (manually) delet the log files in IMC, In and OUT archives but am nervous about deleting the IMC logs as I had to do a restore once before after deleting the log files.

IMS Diagnostics Logging tab is on the Properties of the IMS, which is in the Connections container of your Exchange Server (in Exchange Admin).

If you are having trouble understanding about transaction logs you need faq10-6004.

Thanks zbnet. Have cleared out most of the IMCData logs and deleted the on that held 1.4 gig. Exchange seems to be running OK. Thanks!!!

Have also turned off the various IMS ogging.

One last problem. The Priv.edb file under MdbData is also 1.2 gig. Any ideas how I can clear this?

Regards

Um, you don't want to clear that, don't even touch it. That's all your email boxes in one database file. Leave well enough along... or bad things will happen to your email.

Indeed. Now that I'm reading all words rather than just some, I agree with Dyadmin.

priv.edb is the private information store file. It IS your Exchange server / mailboxes.

Thanks for all that

Will leave Priv.edb well alone

Regards to all and thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back