Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Exchange 5.5 help needed BAD 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

rbirt

MIS
Feb 7, 2002
US
My Exchange 5.5 server will not send or receive external e-mail only internal. The only that has changed has been the addition of SMTP to this server. Help me please!!!!!!!!!!

Hi
Make sure port's 25 and 110 are open on your Firewall.

To test it, do a telnet session from your Exchange server on each port to a known Exchange server outside your network via the URL.

Repeat this test from outside your firewall to your own Exchange server via telnet from any workstation.

Whatever part fails will pinpoint the problem spot for you.

Have fun!! Hope this Helps

Maruis
"I sleep at home not on my Job!"

An easier one - telnet to your Exchange box and try to send an email to yourself. If that works its your firewall, if not its the SMTP service.

I have looked at the MS Mail Connector services in Exchange and I have noticed that it is not working. I am useing Backup Exec 8.5 with Exchange Agent installed, now this is just a thought what if I restore exchange from my last full back up. Will this destroy or modify data base stores or will I need to restore these stores also?

Hi

Another thing to check is your DNS entry's. If your Exchange is not in your DNS then it would not receive mail.

If you do a full restore then you will loose all data since the last backup. Unless you can do a specific restore. Before you try the restore do another full backup.

I would suggest that you correct your settings on your connector. Hope this Helps

Maruis
"I sleep at home not on my Job!"

I have tryed to correct my connector settings but it gives me an error, the error is failure to load MS extention. I am now trying to do a full restore from tape then restore the stores from my full backup today.

Make sure that your mail server has a gateway facing your Firewall or Proxy.

Hi,

I also run Exch 5.5 with a firewall. (Symantec) Is it more effective to point the Exch server's gateway to the firewall as opposed to the same gateway that all the workstations/servers are pointing to? At the moment, all the workstations point to a router (172.29.180.8) and the exchange server points to the firewall (172.29.180.10). Recently I had changed this and pointed the Exch server to the same gateway as the other systems....every now and then I would get an undeliverable message (communications failure blah blah). It would then send on the next try. I have since changed to back to pointing to the firewall.

Any ideas why this would happen - sounds like a DNS problem...even though our exchange server is the primary DNS server and the gatway the 2ndary!

Cheers,

Julian

Oh and Rbirt,

I presume that you have made sure that you are running the IMS service and that it has started correctly. The Internet mail Service is needed to send and receive mail from external as far as i know. If this servce is stopped, you will not be able tosend/rec from external.

Perhaps you could try deleting the IMS and re-adding it again.

Regards,

Julian

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back