Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Exchange 5.5 Filtering Subdomains

Status
Not open for further replies.

procend

MIS
Jan 11, 2002
US
First, thanks for all of the helpful tips on configuring Message Filtering in Exchange 5.5. But I have a problem that I haven't seen addressed specifically in the forums.

One of the spammer tricks is to send e-mails using generated addresses to make them harder to block. I frequently get spam mail with domains like "@123.abc.com" and "@xyz.abc.com". Will filtering for "@abc.com" cover these subdomains as well? Can I enter "@*.abc.com" in the Message Filtering address box?

I'd hate to have to keep running to the server every time I get a new permutation of a spammer's address.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

from my experience, simply listing @abc, will not block a subdomain xyz.abc.com

Entering "#@abc.com" should block everything coming from abc.com. The "#" is a wildcard character.

Allegedly:

@domain.com = blocks domain.com and all it's subdomains

#@domain.com = blocks just domain.com

I know, sometimes it doesn't seem to work...but the above is how it was intended.

I agree with brontosaurus, @domain.com blocks also all subdomains. I have seen no exceptions to this rule on my servers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back