Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Exchange 5.5 error with outgoing email

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 5, 2002
US
Below is the System Admin error message. This is the only user having this problem and it is only with external email. I'm baffled (as usual) so I must be missing something. Does anyone see anything wrong or have any suggestions.

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Tuesday, February 05, 2002 7:33 PM
To: 'Joan Orr'
Subject: Undeliverable: RE: art house page

Your message did not reach some or all of the intended recipients.

Subject: RE: art house page
Sent: 2/3/02 7:32 PM

The following recipient(s) could not be reached:

'Joan Orr' on 2/5/02 7:33 PM
The recipient name is not recognized
The MTS-ID of the original message is: c=US;a= ;p=American Compute;l=ACTSERVER2-020204003153Z-7
MSEXCH:IMS:American Computer Technologies:GoAmerican.com:ACTSERVER2 3499 (000B09AA) network error during host resolution

Is anyone else able to email this site? Can you do an nslookup on type mx? I had a similar problem, and it turned out to be a dns problem with our isp.

It is also possible that the user's account was disabled or changed.

If you read the error meassage you will see that your mail server has send you that message. That means that the specific mail sever could not be reached. So most likely you or they could have a DNS problem. Hope this Helps

Maruis
"I sleep at home not on my Job!"

After much testing here's where I am.
If I change MY local Internet Email account to the other users info I can in fact send external email (Exchange internal email is not a problem - works fine). After checking all settings on the users system and even deleting the users account on her system she is still unable to send external email.

It does not appear to be OUTSIDE of our internal network even though the Exchange 5.5 Administrator gives a message that indicates that it is.

Any more ideas?

BTW I forgot to mention she can not send ANY external email from her system. It usually takes 2-3 days for the Exchance Admin to provide the message as posted above

ok

What client are you using?
Double check your client settings on that machine.

If it is Outlook:
Go tools, services,
Delivery

It should have the entry:

Microsoft Exchange Transport

Hope this Helps

Maruis

Thanks Maruis,

For pointing me in the right direction. Although Exchange Transport WAS installed the difference was that it was NOT in the top most position. I moved it to be first in the list and it solved the problem.

NOW.... Can anyone explain WHY this worked? I am still at a loss. :(

Thanks again...

OK
Correct me if it comes out crooked.

Exchange uses its Internet mail connecter to send the mail out via SMTP.
In Outlook it uses the default settings as set up on the Exchange server to handle the mail. Outlook can not do it on its own, it is only a client of Exchange.

If you do not tell outlook what to use for incoming and outgoing mail it will simply not work. See it as a client server setup.

The Exchange Transport you see in Outlook only points to Exchange Internet mail connector or for that matter it could be IMAP as well.

Hope this Helps

Maruis

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back