Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Exchange 5.5 Enterprise Edition 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fez

IS-IT--Management
Jul 3, 2000
EU
I am currently running Exchange V5.5. My Private information store is growing towards the 16GB maximum (I am running ESEUTIL once per month) so I have purchased Exchange V5.5 Enterprise Edition.

I have been unable to find any information re upgrading from V5.5 to V5.5 Enterprise. Please can someone point me in the direct of a documented upgrade or explain what is involved / required.

Thanks in advance

Fez

Wow thats a pretty good size priv store. Have you considered adding anthor exchange server to your organization. Migrate some of the mailboxes to the new server. Or you could try Microsoft.com doesn't have much.

I would think the upgrade would be easy. 16gb is a lot of data. Be careful!!!

I had to do this about 8 months ago. It was fairly straightforward once I found the exe to run. After taking several backups(!!) I ran srvmax.exe from the Exchange Select CD. It installed without any hitches, I then service packed it again (SP3) and optimised it and the next time Exchange started there was an event logged saying "Information Store with unlimited storage capacity enabled" (My priv store is now around 36GB and still growing)

Hope this helps..

David

Thanks David.

How long does srvmax.exe take to run?

What does srvmax.exe do?

Thanks

Richard

Because I was using the Microsoft Select Cds I had to use srvmax.exe to install Exchange Enterprise. MS ship both the standard and the enterprise version on the same CD so there is no setup.exe. Srvmin.exe installs Exchange standard edition and Srvmax.exe installs the Enterprise version. If you have a normal retail copy of Exchange Enterprise I would assume it uses Setup.exe.

MS have a very short document on upgrading from Standard to Enterprise. Article Q170280 says...

To upgrade the Standard Edition of Microsoft Exchange Server to the Enterprise Edition of Microsoft Exchange Server, run the Setup program from the Exchange Server Enterprise Edition compact disc and click the Reinstall button.

To install any additional components or connectors included in the Enterprise Edition of Exchange Server, run the setup program again and choose the Add/Remove option.

Hope this helps

David

Thanks again David.

Will my Internet Mail connector be preserved? or will I have to reinstall it?

Thanks

Richard

No, it should be fine. The upgrade should deal with any connectors that were already installed.

David

Could dcain or someone email me "srvmax.exe" file as I am installing exchange into the second node of my cluster server.

I don't have Select CD and having problem getting it from Microsoft Tech support.

thanks in advance

Sorry guys, I should have been clearer at the start of my first reply. Microsoft Select is a kind of Volume Licensing program Microsoft offers to take some of the heartache out of purchasing software. My company subscribes to this and basically it means every 2 months or so we get a big box of Microsoft CDs. If we install any MS products we report the product and number installed and get billed by MS. It doesn't ask us for a license number, it generates them by itself so it means we don't have to go out and buy 300 copies of Office and end up with 300 CDs lying around the IT dept.

The Select CD for Exchange has both the Standard and Enterprise Editions on the same CD and so there is no setup.exe on the CD (I think there's a Technet article about this). Instead there is one exe to install Standard (SRVMIN.EXE) and one to install Enterprise (SRVMAX.EXE) on the same CD and you decide at installation time which version you are going to install and advise MS in your monthly/quarterly list of products installed.

If you don't have a subscription to Microsoft Select and want to upgrade from Standard to Enterprise I would imagine the only way to do it is to buy the retail version of Exchange Enterprise Edition.

David

Hi there... Sorry to restart an old thread, but how long did the upgrade to Enterprise take roughly? Does the process involve a lengthy upgrade of the exchange database like when you upgrade from older versions of Exchange to 5.5?? Or is it just a straight forward software upgrade?

Thanks.

Adrian.

Hi Age,

The upgrade is very quick, 10 mins or so. It is a straight forward software, but I would always recommend a good backup is taken before running.

Fez

Thanks Fez... much appreciated.

Adrian.

FYI I just did the same thing with 2000. The stopping and restarting of the services was the only inconvenience.

Al
atc-computing@home.com

I thought the 16GB limit only applied to version 5.0 and was sorted by version 5.5?

I know Enterprise has other features like extra connector types but didn't think there was an EDB limit anymore..?

No.The limit applies through to 2000 as well. Enterprise is also required for any type of clustering.

Al
atc-computing@home.com

You can cluster the standard version of 5.5 with Veritas Cluster Server !!

Is there a limit to the storage size on Exchange Enterprise?

I think it's something like 16 terabytes!! So, no, not really... :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back