Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Exchange 5.5 disappearing outgoing emails and more???

Status
Not open for further replies.

avalanche808

IS-IT--Management
Mar 27, 2003
US
Hi All,

I've searched through the forum and haven't found anything quite like my problems and am hoping someone can give me some ideas. I am currently running Exchange 5.5 SP4 on NT 4.0 SP6 with 3.63 GB of free space left on my HD. I've never had any problems with email service and this has just started happening. When I or any of my users on my network send to one particular vendor, the emails will be sent but never reach that destination vendor. I don't get any NDR notifications or anything. I can receive email from that particular address but they do not receive anything from our side. It's like my emails are just diasappearing. My next problem started at just about the same time for our parent company's email, our messages will queue at our IMS and then get returned to our senders. They can receive email no problem, from everybody in the world except from us. We were able to send to both of these addresses with no problems, but whatever has occurred has only affected these two unrelated sites. I haven't changed anything on my side. I can ping both domains by name and IP address. I'm stumped and unfortunately not very well versed in Exchange. Any hints or direction will be taken. Thanks in advance!

Hi avalanche808,
It is hard to find the problem without futher diagnostic.
Start to check this from youre mailserver.

- DNS, use nslookup to verify that you can find the target server.
- Connect, use telnet to verify than you can connect to the target server on port 25.
- Send mail, use telnet to send a mail to the target server.

How did it go?

// Wibbe

Thanks Wibbe!

Sorry for the late reply, but your tips worked! ALthough it was weird in the sense that I had to manually tell it to use DNS for that one particular address. I did an nslookup on the first and could not resolve it, however if manually instructed to use DNS, it worked. I don't get it. My server is already instructed to forward using DNS, so I don't know what the difference was. Anyway, thanks for the help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back