Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Exchange 5.5 DATABASE size limit

Status
Not open for further replies.

formermarine

IS-IT--Management
Apr 3, 2002
US
I was wondering if anyone knows what the recommended size limit is for the database in exchange 5.5.

Thank you

If you run standard edition its preset at 16GB.

If you run enterprise edition there is no limit.

Cheers.

Unless you were the one to install Exchange, there is no "in your face" way to tell what the Information Store size limit is. To determine if you have Enterprise or Standard version of Exchange 5.5 installed, review the application event log. When the Information Store service starts, it creates an event in the log that states "Information store with unlimited storage capacity enabled." if you are running Enterprise version. Otherwise, it states that you have a 16GB limit on storage capacity.

There is no suggested limit size for your priv.edb that I have ever heard of. I operate above 40 GB at all times and I have heard of others over 80 GB with no problems. It is all about the size of your hard drive and doing good backups because bad things happen.

If anyone calls and says "I know a little something about computers" just tell them to reformat it.

As the pervious poster stated, the Standard Edition of Exchange DOES have a 16 GB limit. Exceeding the limit will prevent the IS from starting. In the Enterprise version, there is no limit except that of your drive space.

I've found it best not to contradict others unless I REALLY know what I'm talking about.

how i can do to intall the client exchange because i want to administer this exchange 5.5
thanks

If you exceed the 16GB limit you're in somewhat deep poo poo! You have to have at least twice the free space (32GB) of the database size to be able to run utilities to compress the database. It can also take up eight or nine hours of time depending on the speed of the Exchange server.

After having that blessed event take place on our Singapore Exchange server, my company has someone go through a daily check list on all server and one of the checks is the PRIV.EDB size!

if you have clients who insist on collecting years of e-mail, they need a personal.pst on the client computer where can move their e-mail from the server to the client. Of course then you've got to worry about backing up all those PST's and keeping them from exceeding 2 GB.

A point of correction in a couple of the posts above; on enterprise edition, there is still a limit to the size of a store file: it is 16TB (a TB is 1024 GB). This might sound fanciful, but tape roadmaps are projecting this kind of storage within a decade (see
I agree, though, that for all practical purposes, this means your 5.5 enterprise database is effectively unlimited - or rather, your working database limit tends to be what you can backup and restore within your agreed DR time window, which is totally reliant upon today's tape technology, not that available in 10 years time!

Someone in my Dept said that Microsoft recommends no more than 45gb for Exchange 5.5. I have not seen anything regarding that though.

Thank you for your response guys.

I've had them bigger (and also know of others who have) and not had any size-related issues: ESE scales very well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back