Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Exchange 5.5 and Outlook 2003 cache mode problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 29, 2002
US
We're currently running an Exchange 5.5 Server w/SP4 installed on Windows 2000 Server. The new Outlook 2003 client has been installed on about 20 client computers, and the new Exchange Cache Mode has been turned on, mainly for SPAM filterning issues.

The problem is that when an update is made to Exchange 5.5, such as adding a new user or making a change to an SMTP address for an existing user, the Outlook clients don't see the change just made. In fact, it can take from many hours to even the next day before the change is seen. If I change a client to non-cache mode and then search the GAL, I can then see the new change. However, changing back to cache mode again on the same client, again the new user/change is not seen.

Forcing an update via the F9 key still does not refresh the cache (*.OST), and this is becoming a BIG ISSUE to our company. I need to resolve this before moving forward with a deployment of the new Office 2003 and Outlook 2003 onto all client machines.

Our Active Directory replication schedule is set for 30 minutes, but this doesn't seem to be the issue. I'd really appreciate any insight on how to resolve this problem.

Mark

According to MS, Outlook 2003 cached Exchange mode is designed to only work with Exchange 2003. I've already comfirmed this with MS, so don't even waste your time trying to make it work. If you go to the link below, and go to the "Improving Performance and Administration" section, you will see a column that says:

"Outlook 2003 local caching
Local caching downloads all necessary information to your computer as it comes in—so you're not affected by network performance issues.5"

If you then go to footnote #5, it says this:

"5 Local caching requires Exchange Server 2003."

That's the offical word from MS.

After digging into the Microsoft archives, I've found an answer to tihs issue.

The Exchange 5.5 Server has to force an update to the Global Address List, and the default schedule is set to 4 times a day. Force an update by going into the Exchange 5.5 Admin program, Configuration container, and select the DS Site Configuration on the right-hand pane. Click on the Offline Address Book tab, and the Global Address Book is listed under "Address Books". Toggle the check box "Microsoft Exchange 4.0 and 5.0 compatibility (don't know if this is mandatory, but did it anyway). Then, click the "Generate All" box and Exchange is forced to update the Address Book.

Now on the Exchange 2003 client, with Exchange Cache Mode enabled (the box is checked), press "F9" to force an update of the OAB. This may take some time, depending on the size of the OAB now being updated from the Exchange server down to the client. Once this is complete, you will see the new entries from the 5.5 Exchange server.

Distribution Lists work directly, but if an SMTP address has been changed, you'll have to go through the above procedure to update it as well.

Mark Adams
Sr. Network/Exchange Admin

You only need the "Microsoft Exchange 4.0 and 5.0 compatibility" box ticked if you have legacy clients. If you're Outlook 2000 or greater throughout, then you can leave it off.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back