Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Exchange 2K on NT 4.0 Domain

Status
Not open for further replies.

smugg

IS-IT--Management
Mar 5, 2001
US
I have an Echange 5.5 sp3 mailsite on an NT server that is doomed to fail any day now so I need to bring up a new mail server and move our existing mailsite ASAP. There is no immediate plan to upgrade my domain from NT4.0 to Win2k. Is Exchange 2000 an option for my organization or would I need Active Directory up and running first?

You need active directory up and running. Exchange 2000 is part of active directory, and is no longer seperate like exchange 5.5 was seperate from NT users and groups.

Yep you need AD in order to install exchange 2000.

One way to start your migration, is instaling a new Windows 2000 Forest with Exchange 2000 (separate from your actual domain).

Latter on you'll use a service called ADC (Active directory connector) that wil permit you to migrate mailboxes from Exchange 5.5 to Exchange 2000.

Good advice:
Before doing any of this, try to find some good documents on this issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back