Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Exchange 2K Install

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rleeunc

MIS
Feb 28, 2001
US
We are installing a new Dell server with Win2K and Exchange 2K. We have set up a test domain first, isolated from the rest of our network, but with the same name. We have a W2k server setup as the DNS and master for Acttive Dir. The new mail server has been added to the domain and they do see each other. But when we run the exchange install, we get the following error :
MS Exchange Collaboration SServices can't install because:
1.Setup is unable to access the W2K Active Directory.
2.Failed to connect to the Schema Master server for this Active directory forest.
I also have read that I'm going to have a hard time renaming the new server to the old mail server name when I move it to the production side?
Thanks for the assistance!!!!!

Run setup /forestprep on your DC(it is your schema master) and check your DNS settings.

Hey Rleeunc,

Some things to check:
1.The user logged into the server you install exchange on must have Enterprise admin, Schema admin and local administrator permisions

2. check your DNS. ping the DC from the exchange server using the name and vice versa. make sure your DNS service has an entry for your exchange server (and turn on automatic updating in needed). Active directory (AD) is dead without DNS

checking the above should solve your problem.

About changing domain names and IP's. In order to rename a DC you have to run dcpromo, remove AD and then rename and reinstall AD. Doing this will not allow the exchange server to work and it will have to be rebuilt, but one can always use the practice :)

If you alread have an NT or 2000 domain you are going to join, the first exchange installation has to me in the same domain as the global catalog master (first 2000 DC installed).

Good luck,
Matt

Thanks for your help. We're in business. Rlee@ncdoi.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back