Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

exchange 2007 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

maoredi

Technical User
Feb 27, 2007
CA
Hi.

I just finished installing the exchange 2007 and after one day of testing I get this message when I try to open the managemnet console fro the exchange.

"Active is not available."

The owa works fine but thats it.

Active is not available

Active what?

Marc
[sub]If 'something' 'somewhere' gives 'some' error, expect random guesses or no replies at all.
Free Tip: The F1 Key does NOT destroy your PC!
[/sub]

Check a few things first, open the console again, open help and type 'active directory'. You will see lots of results, but start with 'Planning to use active directory'

Also check the Eventlogs at the timing of the error, it may reveal additional info.

Marc
[sub]If 'something' 'somewhere' gives 'some' error, expect random guesses or no replies at all.
[/sub]

there is no aditional info in the event viwer

Then check the help to start with, it may be a simple oversight.

Marc
[/sub]

that it was I am looking snce morning but nothing. I think I might done something studpi. I wanted to try the exchange and I installed the office 2003 inb the same machine but still I do not think that was the problme. May be because I wanted to connect to a diffrent mailbox and not the admin.
Anyway I have unistalled the office but now is the same issue.

Euh, if you are trying to connect to a user's mailboc FROM the server, you need that user to have local login rights.
Try it from a workstation instead, Office should ideally not be installed on an Exchange server.

Marc
[/sub]

I know. I know. The thing is that I want to have access to the managemnet console. This is where I am ...stupid me. I said let me try it .Anything that I can do to fix .

You are starting to do too much at the same time. Take a step back and solve server issues FIRST.

And, BTW, make sure you get all SP's installed too!

Marc
[/sub]

Everything is there. I think I will cut down again and start from scratch again.

I think that may be a good idea as long as you still can before having it live and populated.

Marc
[/sub]

Already doing that
Do I have to prepare the AD and the DC befaore installing like in exchange 2003 ?

Start entirelly from scratch, you never know where what went wrong.

Marc
[/sub]

I get the impression you jumped into this without preparation. I strongly suggest you do some reading before continuing or this will become a very long thread.

See this and follow-ups.

Also worth a look:

Marc
[/sub]

It's fairly well known that in Exchange 2003, installing Outlook on the Exchange server overwrites an important .dll, and an uninstall doesn't fix it. I don't know if that has changed with Exchange 2007.

ShackDaddy
Shackelford Consulting

It hasn't.

Marc
[/sub]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back