Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Exchange 2007 on AD 2000 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Niltinho

Technical User
Dec 6, 2002
GB
Hi Gents and Ladies.

I now that Exch 2007 can coexist in the same organization where Exchs 2000 and 2003 live, what I am not sure is can I install 2007 or upgrade to 2007 when your Active Directory is 2000?

Thank you

Niltinho
BEng,CCNA,MCSA,CNA

Hi Niltinho,

For all domains in the Active Directory forest where you will install Exchange 2007 or that will host Exchange 2007 recipients, the Active Directory domain functional level must be Windows 2000 Server native or higher.

In addition, you cannot upgrade in the normal sense of the word to Exchange 2007. You will need to migrate your mailboxes to a new Exchange 2007 installation.

Thanks,

Steve.

"They have the internet on computers now!" - Homer Simpson

Your schema master must be 2003, as does your GC and DC that Exchange is going to use. Also, if you have 2000 DCs/GCs in your domain, and they will not be removed prior to the migration, it's a little more "fun", because you can't just roll through the setup.exe program. You typically have to use the setup.com method, which is cmd based. This is because you'll need to point the setup routine towards specific DC and GC.

The same applies during certain migrations when moving the mailboxes (such as when Exchange 2000 is on a DC).

Your migration will be far smoother if you upgrade all of your DCs to 2003 first.

Pat Richard, MCSE MCSA:Messaging CNA
Microsoft Exchange MVP
Want to know how email works? Read for yourself -

Paty & Steve,

Thank you so much for your responses, exchange a side, wonder if you could then answer me other questions which has rised from your posts.

Do you mean I can have a DC with or without GC on it which is 2003 when main "AD is 2000", and is it correct to say my "AD is 2000 or 2003" and/or if not how do you call a domain where you have 2000 and 2003 DC's or only 2000 or 2003?
You clarification on this will be very appreciated.

Thank you,

Niltinho
BEng,CCNA,MCSA,CNA

When you say 2000 or 2003 domain, that is the function level of the domain. You must at least have 2000 native domains and the schema master must be on 2003 with SP1 server. You must not have exchage 5.5 in your organization. The above is the minimum requirement for your AD environment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back