Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Exchange 2007 gives (0x8004010F) : for all users

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yorkshireman2

Programmer
Jan 21, 2005
CA
I just installed Exchange 2007 and added the exchange account to all our users.
Every outlook client gives the error-
Task 'Microsoft Exchange' reported error (0x8004010F) : 'The operation failed. An object cannot be found.'
when send/receive is pressed.

I checked FAQs here and Microsoft's page about offline address book problems.
As far as I can see I have an offline address book set up and it seems to be valid.
I just deleted the default OAB and created a new one and set this as default. In its properties it has the tick in the 'include the default global address list' option.
The global address list does work when Outlook is connected online to the exchange server, so that must be ok surely?

I just tried enabling web based distribution and added the OAB default Web Site in the window, then also ticked the option for Enable public folder distribution.

The error still occurs at each send/receive. Even if I leave it to auto send/receive I get a new Sync error alert in the Sync issues folder.

None of the other threads in this forum, that mention this error, seems to have been resolved- there was no indication that the solution had been found.
Does anyone know by now what the problem is? :(

Yorkshireman2

UPDATE- I just found out its the Outlook 2007 clients which give this error. It seems the Outlook 2003 and 2002 clients do not have this problem.
(However, their global address book shows long-winded email addresses like
/0=company name/ou=Exchange Administrative Group (FYDIBFFH34SPDLT)/cn=Recipient/cn=username )

My own Outlook client is filling up with Sync issues every time I send/receive, with this content:
Microsoft Exchange offline address book
16:37:16 Not downloading Offline address book files. A server (URL) could not be located.
16:37:16 0X8004010F

So it seems the issue is definitely the OAB and yet I followed the instructions Microsoft provide.

Yorkshireman2

Hi There

I had this issue and did manage to fix it.
First off, go to a client with outlook on it.
In the icons box on the right had side of the toolbar, locate the outlook icon, hold down Ctrl and right click on the icon. Select test email AutoConfiguration, leave the tick boxes all ticked, and click on test.
Under Protocol: exchange RPC you should see the OAB URL.
This shows the location of the offline folder. Check the folder on the server to see if there is any LZX files in there and also look in IIS at the OAB folder path. Make sure these paths match up.

Keep me posted with your findings as it took me lots of playing about to get this working.

Hi,
Only just got back to this-
I tried the test.
The results tab shows "Autoconfiguration was unable to determine your settings".

The Log tab shows lots of failures. I am unable to copy the contents but it starts with guesssmart POP entries, then "Attempting URL https: etc. autodiscover.xml found through scp"
Then more entries about autodiscover failing through https with various addresses (error 0x800C8203).

Then various entries for guesssmart, local autodiscover and Srv Record lookup, that all fail (various error codes).
So all the rest fail.

Any ideas?

Yorkshireman2

If you use ISA in your org, be sure you configured it to directly access computers...

alfa2008 - I don't know if we have ISA - I am new to working with servers (I was dropped into it after our administrator died, because the boss trusted me)

Yorkshireman2

Do you have a SRV record in your DNS for autodiscover?

It should be located in Mycompany.com, _TCP in the DNS MMC.

Look for _autodiscover. If not there, create a new SRV record and point it at your exchange server.

Hi Charlie2908,

Please explain "SRV record in your DNS for autodiscover"

Where and how do I look for "Mycompany.com, _TCP in the DNS MMC"
(I recognise the abbreviation mmc as microsoft management console, but I tried using the run box and typing DNS.MMC and it did not recognise this).

Where and how do I look for '_autodiscover"?

If not there, how do I create a new SRV record and point it at my exchange server?

Yorkshireman2

OK, I tried this.
I used the DNS mmc and under Forward lookup zones > my company.com, I right-clicked on_tcp and chose 'Other New records'.
I chose Service Location (SRV) and clicked Create record.
I wrote in _autodiscover because there was no list entry for Service.
Ileft the pirority and weight as 0 because I dont know what these are for.
I used a Microsoft article as a guide and entered port 443
then in Host, I entered mail.mycompany.com.

Today I still have had 8 or 9 sync errors like this:

8:40:12 Microsoft Exchange offline address book
8:40:12 Not downloading Offline address book files. A server (URL) could not be located.
8:40:12 0X8004010F

This happens on two Outlook 2007 clients I have noticed and Does NOT happen on two other Outlook 2007 clients or Outlook 2003 clients.

Yorkshireman2

What are you seeing when you run the autodiscovery test from outlook?

The tab windows will not let me select and copy the text, so I will try to explain the results

The result tab- I now realised that the Autoconfiguration window has a space for my password, so I entered it this time. The results window shows POP and then SMTP protocol with SPA: YES on each group. (Don't know what that tells me)

The Log tab shows lots of failures. It starts with guesssmart POP entries, then "Attempting URL https: etc. autodiscover.xml found through scp"
Then more entries about autodiscover failing through https with various addresses (error 0x800C8203).
Then Local Autodiscover for our domain FAILED (0x8004010F).

Then a Redirect check to FAILED(0x80072EE7)

Then various entries for guesssmart with POP, IMAP and POP which fail (0x800CCC0D) and (0x800CCC1A) and (0x800CCC0E)

Although two succeeded: Guesssmart POP on port 110

Later on, two GuessSmart SMTP succeed on port 587.

Then failure again.

What does this mean?

p.s. because the addition of an autodiscover srv record did not fix the problem, can I remove it now?
(I am concerned about opening any security holes because everyone talks about security all the time)

Yorkshireman2

One more thing- In my Outlook 2007, under Send receive group settings, if I tick 'Download offline address book' I get dozens of sync errors over an hour,but if I clear the tick I get only about 4 sync errors over several hours.
Odd, eh?

Yorkshireman2

We got this error on both outlook 2k7 and 2k3. When I clear the tick on "cached mode" and restarted outlook, then put the tick back, it resolved it on the 2k7. I also right clicked on the OAB and "updated" it and it resolved it. However, I couldn't resolve it for the outlook 2k3 clients.

Can you give more details on "I also right clicked on the OAB and "updated" it".
where did you do this?

Yorkshireman2

With caching enabled again and a tick in the option for download OAB, my sync error folder in Outlook 2007 now gives these:

8:39:41 Synchronizer Version 12.0.6509
8:39:41 Synchronizing Mailbox 'user name'
8:39:41 Synchronizing Hierarchy
8:39:41 Synchronizing local changes in folder 'Junk E-mail'
8:39:41 Uploading to server 'serverName.DOMAIN'
8:39:41 1 item(s) deleted in online folder
8:39:41 Downloading from server 'serverName.DOMAIN'
8:39:41 Done
8:39:42 Microsoft Exchange offline address book
8:39:42 Not downloading Offline address book files. A server (URL) could not be located.
8:39:42 0X8004010F

It will be good to hear more details on "I also right clicked on the OAB and "updated" it".
where did you do this?

Yorkshireman2

Hi CHarlie2908,
What should it be and how do I check it?

It's strange that our outlook 2002 and 2003 clients have no errors but most of the outlook 2007 clients do. I just installed office 2007 on another PC and it's Outlook does it too.

Yorkshireman2

Today I managed to connect my second workstation to my mailbox (using outlook 2003) - I haven't been able to connect it for some time- it wouldn't recognise my name.
Now that this client is connected, it downloaded the offline address book fine and it works when I select offline mode.

My other workstation (laptop) has the outlook 2007 and it still wont download the offline address book, BUT- today it decided to NOT give sync errors and furthermore, the Sync folders have disappeared from the folder list.
Now it simply shows an error in the status bar.
Can't figure this out.

Yorkshireman2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back