Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

exchange 2003 transaction logs...edb database...and BES issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

goof1427

MIS
Jul 25, 2006
US
Hello all-

I am in need of some help... and all and any help will be appreciated..
Here it is:

-first I want to know is if there's a dependency of transactions logs with the Exchange database (edb). i know that all changes made to the database are first committed to the transaction logs.
my troubleshooting analyzer is saying that the readings for each of the transaction log drives is 1ms...and not where it should be .10ms..
my RPC latency is showing up at .28ms (it fluctuates)

-BES (blackberry exchange server) has a MAPI profile ...which should only act like another Outlook user..but the BES scans every mailbox every 15-20 min 24hrs a day. instead of just being a normal user...9-5 kind of a thing.

so my question is shouldnt the BES MAPI only affect the RPC latency since all client activity causes updates to the Exchange database (edb) and not affect the high IOPS reading on the transaction logs.

Therefore the high IOPS on the transaction logs is the cause of usage made by user...whether it is sending...receiving...or modifying their mailbox and not made by the BES since it is only scanning the Exchange database.

Again thank you for your time and efforts....

abdul.

I want to know is if there's a dependency of transactions logs with the Exchange database (edb).

Yes, there is a dependancy. Until the mail is actually committed you need the transaction logs. Ensure that you are doing a full backup of the Exchange database and NTBackup will delete the transaction logs it no longer needs for you.

I hope you find this post helpful.

Regards,

Mark

Check out my scripting solutions at

thnx mark...now since there is a dependency...should that affect the RPC latency? since MAPI calls are only made to the Exchange database (edb)...

and BES only looks for changes made in the Exchange database which really shouldnt have an effect on the transaction logs... shouldnt the transaction logs be only dependent on mailbox usage...sending/receiving/modifying a user's mailbox?

thnx again..

abdul

Where are you getting the information that MAPI calls are only made to the EDB file?

If a non-mapi client reads a mail (such as using OWA) then that email message will be placed in the STM file (forever). I have only worked with BES a few times, but as I recall the Blackberry devices will still display those messages.

Regards,

Mark

The Exchange database (edb) file is called the MAPI store. messages sent by MAPI clients are stored here." (Jim McBee).

and if you look at the message flow path. it goes from a MAPI client > to information store MAPI interface > to EDB file.

All I am trying to do is try to eliminate that a MAPI client has any effect on the reading/writing of transaction logs. That it only affects RPC latency. especially a BES mailbox. since a BES mailbox only looks for changes it shouldnt have any effect on the transaction logs.

Thanx...

messages sent by MAPI clients are stored here

New messages are first delivered to the straming file (the STM) and then move to the EDB. If an OWA client or non MAPI client reads a message it is not moved from the STM to the EDB. The Exchange database is the combination of the STM and the EDB. That is the point I am trying to make. I am unsure how to better relate this to your question, just hoping this clarification will lead you to where you need to be.

Regards,

Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back