Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Exchange 2003 to new hardware 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Diffy1

IS-IT--Management
Jun 29, 2005
GB
Hi!

I'm looking to move our Exchange server to new hardware. We will probably also upgrade it to Exchange 2007 possibly next year. Does Exchange 2003 work on a 64 bit version? Before I even look at moving Exchange I want to make sure the new server can handle an Exchange 2007 upgrade in the future (Windows 2008/Exchange 2007/32bit and 64 bit).

Many thanks!

Diffy

No - Exchange 2003 doesn't support 64 bit OS. Even if it did, you couldn't do an in-place upgrade to 2007, since that's not supported anyways.

If you're looking at transitioning to 2007, you really should look at going straight to 2010. No sense in going to a 3 year old solution that's already outdated by then.

Pat Richard MVP
Plan for performance, and capacity takes care of itself. Plan for capacity, and suffer poor performance.

It's going to be a forklift either way. Why not just go for Exchange 2010? It went RTM yesterday and will be available in November.

Thanks for the heads-up guys. Will look at Exchange 2010.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back