Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Exchange 2003 SP2 Database Limited

Status
Not open for further replies.

MIS
Dec 29, 2005
US
Hi, here is is my situation: I have sucessfully installed the SP2 on my server and was able to edit the registry to set the database size( I have set it to 40GB instead of 18GB default); I re-started the Information store service as well; but when I use the BPAT(analyser Tool) to check my server again, I still see the Large database warning; Did I miss any configurations? What is the ideal backup method to backup the exchange database, what is the prefer way to setup the backup if I have build in backup tape drive install? I always have issues to setup the backup for it.

Many thanks,
Steve

SP2 should automatically allow 75GB without any manual changes to the registry.

I use large tape backup units AIT3-100/200GB or LTO3-200/400. I also use Backup Exec with Exchange Addon so that I can backup each email individually.

akwong that is incorrect. Installing SP2 only bumps the database up from 16GB to 18GB by default. To go to the 75GB limit you need to edit the registry and set the size in GB.

Steve,
I recently attending some Exchange 12 training and got a glimpse of things to come. The thinking at Microsoft now is that you won't necessarily want to backup to tape. Hard disk backups are now the preferred method.

I hope you find this post helpful.

Regards,

Mark

thanks so much for the feedback. Any idea why I still received "large database error"? I have set the registry key and restart the ISS. Am I missing some configuration? Is it the hard disk is so easy to hook it up when it comes to recovery mail? that is the reason MS suggest to use hard disk. Can you please tell me a bit of it?

Many thanks,

Steve

Steve,

Copy the full report you are getting from the Best Practice Analyzer Tool. Also make certain you have the latest version.

The idea behind disk based backup is that there are many removable media solutions these days that are very inexpensive and that can store vastly more information that tape systems can. Additionally you can use disk redundnacy and shadow copy to create and store multiple copies of your database, so the thinking is that you should never need to go to offline media unless you have total disaster in mind.. In that case you would want to rely on the removable drives.

A removable SATA drive system with carrying cases and redundant drives will cost you under $600 where a quality (and still problem prone) tape unit could cost you in excess of $1200 when you include the media.

SAN solutions are becoming more popular as the costs of the media come down.

Usign the current technology you already have, I would recommend a solution of hard disk backups using the SATA solution I referenced above. It is inexpensive and considerably more reliable than tape. I'm talking about a mirrored set of disks with a removable drive, so it is robust and quick.

I hope you find this post helpful.

Regards,

Mark

Hi Steve,

Are you using the latest version of the BPAT. Latest version is 2.10.0.1
The reason I ask is the version before Nov 05 had no knowledge of SP2.

Regards

Stewart

THe latest BPAT works and it didn't complain about the large database anymore, it complained about the OAB replica not found; Is this a serious issue or I can just ignore it?

Many thanks,

-Steve

Have you restarted the IS?

Pat Richard, MCSE(2) MCSA:Messaging, CNA(2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back