Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Exchange 2003 question - restore to new domain 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 24, 2002
US
Hello all,
I have a small network with two servers, both running Windows 2003 Server. We have a total of 40 users. One of the servers is running Exchange 2003. Due to a lot of network/DNS/replication problems it has been decided to rebuild from the ground up. We wish to use a new domain name when we do.

The current size of the Exchange information store is just under 16 gigs and I have tested backing up and restoring it, have no problems there (Veritas 11D)

What I plan to do is take a full backup of everything, then reinstall both servers using a new domain name, install active directory and recreate all user accounts. I would then install Exchange and restore the mailboxes. The question I have is am I going to have trouble restoring mailboxes to a different domain? Usernames will be the same.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions and advice.

I'll add that the DNS and replication issues should be resolved without rebuilding. Otherwise, how are you sure you're not going to recreate the same problems?

Pat Richard
Microsoft Exchange MVP

Fix the problem, don't run away and create more.

DNS problems aren't Exchange. More to the point they should be simple.
Network problems won't really be cured by reloading a server if they really are network problems.
Replication? You've only got 2 servers...

Hello all,
Thanks for your quick replies. The reason I am looking to rebuild is that the domain was originally created as a single-label domain, which has caused some problems and I know now not to do. Trial and error by multiple individuals has left a real mess of things as far as DNS and replication goes.

I had looked at renaming the domain, but Exchange is installed on a domain controller and according to Microsoft the domain rename process will only work if Exchange is installed on a member server, not a domain controller. Could I uninstall AD to make the Exchange server a member server, then rename domain?

Sorry if these are obvious questions, I have spent much time searching the forums and have not found the answer. This network is 400+ miles away so I am trying to have all my ducks in a row before I start :)

No. You cannot demote or promote a server running Exchange. Ever.

Running Exchange on a DC is a bad idea, and not recommended.

Move Exchange to another box, then rename the domain.

Pat Richard
Microsoft Exchange MVP

With Exchange and AD on the same box you have to remove Exchange not AD, it doesn't work the other way round.

Check some of the other threads for details on removing the first Exchange server in an org so you don't run into problems. There is a specific MS KB article that details the process.

Or do a search for 'removing first exchange server in organization' :-D

Neill

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back