Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Exchange 2003 OWA Frontend Server Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

wazzup

Technical User
Apr 11, 2003
US
I can't get OWA to work on my frontend server. I'm trying to setup a SSL frontend/backend Exchange 2003 infrastructure.

Setup:

1. Exchange 2003 Backend Server - mail/public folders
2. Exchange 2003 Frontend Server - no/mail public folders, install CA (certificate)
3. Basic Authentication and Windows Authentication
4. I want all clients to OWA the frontend server both internal and external. Everything is open between the frontend and backend so no firewall. I'll be locking down the security once I get it working. I'm testing internally right now.

Do I need to enable SSL on the backend or only frontend?
I've already read all the documentation on the net regarding frontend/backend design and still can't get this to work. I've setup SSL on the backend and that worked perfectly with no problem. Its the frontend that's not working.

Nevermind got this working...Needed to restart a few services.

What services?

I'm trying to get a front end back end setup working too - but when I login to my front end server I get error 503 Service Unavailable.

Regards,
Colin Anderson

Restart the following services:

IIS, SMTP, All Exchange Services...Also, unless you have mailboxes or public folders on your frontend, the only
services that you need running is SMTP, IIS, System Attendant and Routing Engine. After you restart all exchange services,
stop the other services that you don't need.

did you ever find a solution to 503 Service Unavailable error
cheers

No. I was planning on wiping and rebuildng the server next week.

Regards,
Colin.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back