Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Exchange 2003 on single Server

Status
Not open for further replies.

mattcaney

Technical User
Aug 29, 2002
GB
I am currently studying for my MCSA Messaging and would like to know if I can install Exchange 2003 on my current Windows 2003 server machine with is configured as a DC.
I only need this set up a practise machine as dont want to upset my work setup.
I have heard that I will need my ISP to supply me with an IP Address but currently use my router for DHCP. Please can someone advise me. Thanks

you CAN set up exchange on a AD machine although it is not recommended in a production environment for security reasons...if your router supports port forwarding... and most do, you must open ports for either pop3 or Imap4 and tell the router which IP address on the network is being used for mail services basically where its supposed to go on the network "to the mail server", to route incoming mail. Having said that you also must purchase a domain name and must configure the your MX records to point to your static IP address that has been assigned to you by your ISP, generally you can do this with a web configuration utility that is provided by your ISP. Of course dynamic addresses are not recommended for obvious reasons... hopes this helps..
MEAB

You don't need to open POP3 and/or IMAP4 ports unless that's how you're going to have your client machines connect to the box. You'll need to forward port 25 to the server. If you're going to configure OWA, then you'll also need forward that port to the server as well (80 for http, or 443 for the recommended SSL).

You'll need an MX record, as mentioned above, pointing to your public IP address, and you'll need a reverse DNS entry for that same IP address.

If you're only testing, then Exchange on a DC will suffice. But it's not recommended.

Pat Richard, MCSE MCSA:Messaging CNA
Want to know how email works? Read for yourself -

you should not install Exchange on DC bcoz to install Exchange u wil require to install IIS services...which is not good idea for DC, so it always recommened on seperate machine.also if u hav ISA server as ur firewall then it is very good idea.1 ISA server,1 DC, 1 Exchange.

Of course, MS recommended that Exchange isn't on the same box as a DC and then came out with SBS 2003!

They included Exchange Server in SBS NT4 - so this isn't a new contradiction ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back