Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Exchange 2003 - Not Sending Mail

Status
Not open for further replies.

SKent

IS-IT--Management
Aug 22, 2001
US
I have an odd situation. I am running Windows 2003 Server and Microsoft Exchange 2003. Some users are not able to send mail either internally or to the outseid world. They seem to be able t receive mail from others locally and from the outside, and they are able to reply to a email that they get and the mail will be returned. There are no indications on the exchange server that the mail is not being sent. You can go into Outlook and you can see in the sent folder that the message was sent. I check the queques on the exchange server and there is no indication that mail is being held. I do seem to have a lot of mail in my outbound queque, but I checked the queque for the to see if the mail that was supposedly being sent was in the queque and it not ... ANY HELP WOULD BE APPRECIATED. I AM AT MY WITS END

What are the NDR's reporting? There must be some sort of message coming back with the returned emails.

MArkdmac: If you are referring to the Internet SMTP queues, there are quite a few in there (179). The SMTP Mailbox shows 0 messages. I have restarted the exchange server a couple of time, so I would have to say yes on whether I have restarted the Virtual SMTP server. I couldn't find anything in the exchange server manager that would let me stop and start the SMTP server and I couldn't find a service in the list of services that you indicate there is a service called that.

Monsterjta: Thre are no NDRs coming back to the userl. By all indications, it appears from Outlook and the exchange server that the message is being delivered. But if you ask for a delivery receipt, it doesn't return one ... because it was never sent. There is no rhyme or reason. I know it has affected 2 people so far (me and my boss. I rebooted the exchange server and then stopped my outlook and opened it up and this corrected the problem for me. My boss on the other hand hasn't had the same luck. He is just concerned now that HIS boss may be having problems and just doesn't realize it.

Oh-oh. One thing you do NOT want to do is upset your boss's boss (hehe).

Are you seeing anything in your event logs by chance?

Yes for not upsetting MY boss and BIG YES for not wanting to upset HIS boss ... LOL
No I can't see anything in the event log that would indicate this problem ...
I do have a message "Sender ID must be configured with a list of trusted mail servers before it can be enabled" Event 7518 ... But it doesn't say who the sender is and I really don't know what the error message refers to ..

Well I just wanted to thank you guys for the help. I finally corrected the problem by deleting/disconnecting the email mailbox from the user and then going back and reconnecting it. I still don't know why it was doing this, but at least that fixed this particular problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back