Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Exchange 2003 Email not arriving from some domains

Status
Not open for further replies.

ianhcs

IS-IT--Management
Nov 6, 2013
GB
I've been troubleshooting this problem for a while but not getting anywhere fast.

I have a SBS2003 server with exchange server 2003 running.
Emails are arriving from some domains but not others.

eg. if I send an email from my hotmail account to my corporate email address on the exchange system, it arrives every time. If I send an email from my other email address (virginmedia) it doesnt arrive (or gets delayed).

I have enabled SMTP logging and I appear to have found a pattern in the logs.

When a successful email arrives, I get a number of lines in the SMTP logs - EHLO, RCPT, DATA etc...
When I send an email from a problematic domain, I get a single line in the log with the status 240 QUIT (along with all the other log details).

This shows that the SMTP connection is being attempted and logged on the server, but it is just getting the QUIT response straight away.

I'd appreciate any assistance on this.

Thanks
Ian.

What are you using for spam filtering on the server? Did you enable an RBL of some sort? Do you have a 3rd-party anti-spam solution running? It looks to me like whatever you have in place is too aggressive and it's blocking disconnecting sessions before they even have a chance to say who they want to send mail to. Normally this would be what blacklist use would look like.

Dave Shackelford
ThirdTier.net

As far as I'm aware, there is no spam filtering enabled.
I have disabled everything that could potentially cause this issue.

We have AVG server edition on the server and I have tried completely disabling this.
I have disabled all the filtering / RBL / blacklists etc within Exchange System Manager, and nothing resolves the issue.

Is there any way of getting more detail about why the connection is dropping?
The SMTP logging doesnt give me enough information.

Thanks.
Ian.

Are you getting NDR's from your virginmedia mails that never arrive?

If so what do they say?

Neill

Ian, is it always same domains? Dont rule out the possibility that the issue could be on the sender's side if same domains bounce.

wmin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back