Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Exchange 2003 Domain Addition

Status
Not open for further replies.

jonnygrim

Technical User
Sep 2, 2003
Hi,

I've posted this on a couple of other forums and dont seem to be getting anywhere so i thought i'd try here.

We currently have a cisco pix firewall that has all smtp traffic forwarding from a specific ip to our exchange server.

Our exchange server is exchange 2003 and has our domain running mail perfectly. We purchased a new domain for a specific project pointed the mx record to our external smtp ip. We then added a recipient policy into exchange and an smtp connector.

The problem is we dont seem to be recieving the mail from the new domain. Is there something I missed.?

Thanks in advance.

If you have your firewall configured to forward mail from a specific IP to your firewall, it sounds like you're using some cloud based service. Is the new domain going through that same service?

Pat Richard MVP
Plan for performance, and capacity takes care of itself. Plan for capacity, and suffer poor performance.

Hi,

Thanks for your reply, No we have messagelabs in place for the rest, this is just going direct to the ip.

ta

Well, if your firewall is only allowing MessageLabs traffic through, then that's your problem. It's ignoring anything else.

Pat Richard MVP
Plan for performance, and capacity takes care of itself. Plan for capacity, and suffer poor performance.

thanks for your email. Our firewall allows all smtp traffic through then forwards onto our mail server. By specific Ip I mean we have multiple external ip's, one of them is designated to smtp. any other ideas?

Thanks.

Assuming that you've got your MX records for the new domain correctly configured, what happens when you telnet to the MX record over port 25 from an external address?

Pat Richard MVP

Maybe check the policy maps on the PIX and disable any ESMTP filters?

ESMTP TLS Configuration
Note: If you use Transport Layer Security (TLS) encryption for e-mail communication then the ESMTP inspection feature (enabled by default) in the PIX drops the packets. In order to allow the e-mails with TLS enabled, disable the ESMTP inspection feature as this output shows.

pix(config)#policy-map global_policy
pix(config-pmap)#class inspection_default
pix(config-pmap-c)#no inspect esmtp
pix(config-pmap-c)#exit
pix(config-pmap)#exit

Network+ / Security+ / C|EH /CCNA
Working towards CCNP and CWNA.

My experience dictates ALWAYS disabling ESMTP inspection on Cisco security appliances when using Exchange. WAY too many dropped connections.

Pat Richard MVP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back