Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Exchange 2003 Does Not Establish Mailbox

Status
Not open for further replies.

SKent

IS-IT--Management
Aug 22, 2001
US
Just this morning I have had a problem with my Exchange 2003 and Active Directory. I establish a new user in my Active Directory and tell it to establish a mailbox on the exchange server. The Active Directory shows the Exchange information, ie., email addresses, exchange features, exchange general, and exchange advance. But when I go the the exchange server, the mailbox is not visible. I try and send test messages to the new user and it says that the address is not recognized. My mail seems to be working the way it should. Could someone point me in the right direction.

Thanks in advance

The mailbox is not visable probably due to the GAL not being updated yet and that you need to activate the mailbox.

Usually you do this by sending an email by manually typing the new smtp address however if it is rejecting it then try updating/rebuilding the Recipient Update Service.

Iain

you caught me a little dumb .. what do you mean update/rebuild the receipient update service?

When you create a new user, creation of the Exchange SMTP is not instantaneous. It happens the next time the Recipient Update Service checks. This can take a little while.

If you're too impatient, go into ESM, go to Recipients>Recipient Update Services and right click on the item on the right that mentions your domain. Then, click UPDATE NOW. Check then. If that doesn't do it, right click on that same item and REBUILD.

Pat Richard, MCSE MCSA:Messaging CNA MVP
Want to know how email works? Read for yourself -

Thanks Pat .. I am judging the time frame by all the other people I have entered into exchange through Active Directory. I rebuilt the update service and one of the mailboxes appeared. I can send mail to the receipent by using the complete email address ie., test@test1.org; but the name still is not in the global address bood and so people cannot send email inside our organization using the alias skent ... I am still open to any other ideas. I haven't been successful finding anything on the Microsoft Exchange website. It does appear that active directory is talking to exchange because I can delete a mailbox through active directory and go to the exchange server and run the cleanup process and it will be identified with a red X that the mailbox has been slated for deletion,

Where E5.5 was instantanious in adding users to the gal and making them available to outlook clients e2003 is not.

As described by Sniper that will enable the users to show in the GAL BUT the outlook clients if using offline address books won't update their gals until the next day unless you force them to!

Anoying isn't it? Sorry I mean feature rich!

I don't really know anyone who has deployed exchange and not ask why on EARTH......????????

Iain

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back